what hunting dog breed do you perfer and why ?

If you're looking for a pointing/retrieving dog, you can't go wrong with a german short haired pointer. They're incredibly smart and easily jump from hunting dog to family dog. Mine doesn't chase my chickens, but will take down almost any other bird.

Say hello to Shiner Bock:

ry%3D400

Growing up, I used a lot of different dogs for hunting. English pointers, spaniels, labs.

My very best hunter who would point out a pheasant every time and then retrieve it once it went down was a German Shepherd.

Crazy I know.

Quote:
You're the only other person who said beagles. We have one, technically DD's. and he's great. Being a hound, his nose will short circuit his brain sometimes, but hey.

He knows that if it's in a cage, it's mine, but if it's on the ground, it's his. He has caught a few rabbits, doesn't kill them, just pins them until you go pick them up. Mostly wild ones, but the occasional domestic that gets loose.

And I know it's not common, but my beagle will point quail. I understand that waaay back when, they were a multipurpose hunter and commonly used for birds, so you'll still find the occasional throwback like mine.
Picture184.jpg

Last edited:
Long haired weimaraners and short haired weimaraners:) I live and sleep with four, great hunting dogs, great companions, not guard dogs but protective and full of fun. My long hair weim loves to fish, too...
6333_05_16_07_0336.jpg

duck hunting:
6333_picture_004.jpg

knitting:
6333_knit_011.jpg

taking lessons on frisbee, hunting, or agility via tv/dvd:
6333_01-13-08_13451.jpg

goose hunting:
6333_amy_en_esra.jpg

sunbathing:
6333_backtocamp.jpg

and varmits would be fox;) Which they love retrieving, too!

I don't own a hunting dog but I do train hunting dogs for my grandfather. He owns labradors but I honestly prefer pointers for hunting dogs. Pointers are fast, smart, and loyal. Labs are smart and loyal but there not always very fast. I have a poodle, she hunts squirrels if that counts
lol.png

One of the best bird dogs that I ever hunted with was my best friend's black and tan collie. All summer long, Rex was our shadow and fishing buddy. Pick up a shotgun in the fall, and he turned into a bird dog. He would quarter the ground like a bird dog and would flag energetically once he scented a pheasant. He was quick and was a flusher so we ran like heck to keep up to him. Many a cock bird was shot over him. Beagles are my thing. I am addicted to the sound of their voices and have literally spent thousands of hours in the field with my dogs. At the present time, I own 17. (Not too bad if you consider that I've owned as many as 40 at one time.)

Back
Top Bottom