What is this?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi, my 8 month old golden retriever just had this red bumb pop up by her ear wondering if anyone knows what it is. We are calling the vet today once they open but the dont open for another 3 hours. She has been itching it. And we havent seen a tick on her we chrck everyday.
16542575421626479953154914900251.jpg

That isn't true for well bred dogs. The majority of goldens come from BYBs, and that causes issues. It isn't a breed issue, it's a breeder issue.
Have worked for vets for almost 10 years and been in rescue for 22 years. All water breeds are more prone to hotspots, and it has nothing to do with how well bred they are.

Could be a fly bite or even a bee sting. You can give dogs Benedryl and it works well for both of those and hotspots. I'm tending to think that's what it is.

Leonbergers, in my avatar, are derived from Newfoundlands. They occassionally get hotspots. We shave them and a good inch around them to allow air to get to the area. I found that the vet wanted to give a cortisone shot. They work but mine always got a rebound hotspot as soon as the cortisone wore off. Benedryl works better to dry them out, and we applied a cotton pad soaked in diluted Hibiclens (found in wound care aisle at the pharmacy). Hibiclens kills all bacteria, viruses, yeast, and fungus. Wet hotspots tend to grow both bacteria, yeast, and fungus. Benedryl dose, per Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, which is what vets use, is around 1mg/pound, 3 times a day. We decrease the amount after the spot has dried out a few days, and then wean them off.

That isn't true for well bred dogs. The majority of goldens come from BYBs, and that causes issues. It isn't a breed issue, it's a breeder issue.
Golden retrievers are more likely than many other breeds to carry the N/Ich and Ich/Ich gene which causes skin issues. Now do good breeders test to make sure their dogs are N/N? Yes, but that does negate the fact that Goldens are more prone than many other breeds to carry those genes. There are 12 identified dog breeds with breed specific ichthyosis and golden retrievers are one of them. https://vgl.ucdavis.edu/test/ichthyosis-gr

Last edited:
🤔 that now doesn't really look like the hot spots I've seen before, but our dog had them on her feet and was always trying to lick them. Is the area moist or dry? Hot spots are usually moist even if they aren't licked.
Any response from your vet? I'm surprised that they haven't at least given you some advice on home care like Benadryl or one of the various OTC hot spot treatments. I would definitely send the updated picture.

Have you had this vet very long? I would think they would of gave you a reply by now instead of leaving you sitting n worrying. Something that starts out minor could turn a little worse if not treated.
Has it changed, like has it gotten a head on it since last night? Keep us up dated on the poor furbaby. Did you try some Vaseline for five minutes to see if it’s a bot fly lava?

Back
Top Bottom