What is this?

Hopefully that means that they aren't too concerned about it. I would keep taking pictures to show the vet. You might also want to clip the hair around it so you can more easily see it and give it air if it is a hot spot.
I'm not sure about the darker spot. It maybe where she scratched it.
I can try to get a pic of it now that is better. Her fur isnt that ling right there.

There is ingrown fur there. Her is a pic of her to try and
20220604_081040.jpg
show how long her fur is.
20220604_081017.jpg

🤔 that now doesn't really look like the hot spots I've seen before, but our dog had them on her feet and was always trying to lick them. Is the area moist or dry? Hot spots are usually moist even if they aren't licked.
Any response from your vet? I'm surprised that they haven't at least given you some advice on home care like Benadryl or one of the various OTC hot spot treatments. I would definitely send the updated picture.

🤔 that now doesn't really look like the hot spots I've seen before, but our dog had them on her feet and was always trying to lick them. Is the area moist or dry? Hot spots are usually moist even if they aren't licked.
Any response from your vet? I'm surprised that they haven't at least given you some advice on home care like Benadryl or one of the various OTC hot spot treatments. I would definitely send the updated picture.
We will send a updated pic. It is dry she has been itching it alot.

That isn't true for well bred dogs. The majority of goldens come from BYBs, and that causes issues. It isn't a breed issue, it's a breeder issue.
Have worked for vets for almost 10 years and been in rescue for 22 years. All water breeds are more prone to hotspots, and it has nothing to do with how well bred they are.

Could be a fly bite or even a bee sting. You can give dogs Benedryl and it works well for both of those and hotspots. I'm tending to think that's what it is.

Leonbergers, in my avatar, are derived from Newfoundlands. They occassionally get hotspots. We shave them and a good inch around them to allow air to get to the area. I found that the vet wanted to give a cortisone shot. They work but mine always got a rebound hotspot as soon as the cortisone wore off. Benedryl works better to dry them out, and we applied a cotton pad soaked in diluted Hibiclens (found in wound care aisle at the pharmacy). Hibiclens kills all bacteria, viruses, yeast, and fungus. Wet hotspots tend to grow both bacteria, yeast, and fungus. Benedryl dose, per Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, which is what vets use, is around 1mg/pound, 3 times a day. We decrease the amount after the spot has dried out a few days, and then wean them off.

Have worked for vets for almost 10 years and been in rescue for 22 years. All water breeds are more prone to hotspots, and it has nothing to do with how well bred they are.

Could be a fly bite or even a bee sting. You can give dogs Benedryl and it works well for both of those and hotspots. I'm tending to think that's what it is.

Leonbergers, in my avatar, are derived from Newfoundlands. They occassionally get hotspots. We shave them and a good inch around them to allow air to get to the area. I found that the vet wanted to give a cortisone shot. They work but mine always got a rebound hotspot as soon as the cortisone wore off. Benedryl works better to dry them out, and we applied a cotton pad soaked in diluted Hibiclens (found in wound care aisle at the pharmacy). Hibiclens kills all bacteria, viruses, yeast, and fungus. Wet hotspots tend to grow both bacteria, yeast, and fungus. Benedryl dose, per Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, which is what vets use, is around 1mg/pound, 3 times a day. We decrease the amount after the spot has dried out a few days, and then wean them off.
Could it possibly be histiocytoma? It also is harder not soft. And if we give her benedryl and it isnt a hot spot or a bite or sting it isnt going to hurt her right. We would e in contact with a family member who knows alot about this stuff but she is going through alot right now.

What kind of brush are you using?
We were using a slicker brush and a double sided brush with bristles and another side that looks like a regular hair brush. Then a undercoat rake. The slicker brush is broke so we can't use that anymore. And the undercoat rake seems to work but i dont like it i feel like it pulls hair out. So we are buying a different one.

Hot spot sounds right. I'd have to actually see & even feel if necessary. Our Brittany goes threw the same thing.
Do you have a picture of what your dogs looked like? It is a hard red smaller bump with black spots now there is another small one I didnt notice before. I wish the vet around here was better at responding.

Back
Top Bottom