What is YOUR favorite variety/breed of Turkey?

GardienneWings

Songster
11 Years
Sep 19, 2008
Northern Central Virginia
We currently have 6 types of turkeys: Heritage Broze, Bourbon Red, Royal Palm, Pencilled Palm, Narragansett, and Holland Whites. They all have somewhat different habits and personalities so I wondering what is everyone's favorite type of turkey? We don't eat ours so I can't compare taste
big_smile.png
I was thinking more of "favorite to keep or raise".

My bronzes are absolute sweethearts and the hens follow me around talking to me the whole time I am in the yard or barn. The others are penned so they admittedly don't have the same opportunity, but they are also more aloof, especially my Pencilled Palms which at times can be down-right spastic! My Bourbons and Narris are nice and calm but not as friendly as the Bronzes.

What is your experience? What do you think?

Val

My frist turkey is a standard bronze an I love him! He follows me around when I make turkey calls an if I tap with my fingers at ANYTHING he will come running from far far away! Much more messy than my chickens to the point where I had to give him a bath... He's only 9 weeks old but he will be for meat (sadly) if he were a girl we would of kept him... But over all I love the bronze

I have found the palm to be a little more standoffish than the "dark" turkeys, but other have not always had the same experience. For coloring, I like a red gene to spruce things up a bit, and lean towards red bronze and golden Narragansett toms. I just got some pencilled palm eggs, and hope they eventually add a little more spice to the mixing pot.

Having said that, a really nice standard bronze is hard to take your eyes off of.

Mostly, i guess I like some variety, so I don't mind mixing things together that will produce more colors.

I have raised Royal Palms (since 1977, which started my love for heritage birds), Auburn, Black Spanish, (real) Chocolate, Bourbon Red, and Blue Slates in the past. I really have always had a thing for my Slates. Just starting up again at my new home, I currently I have Narragansett, Slates and Oregon Gray eggs in the incubator. I shall see what pops out. Two poults are in the brooder right now and I have no idea what they are yet.

Cedar

I got 4 royal palm turkey poults last year. They all turned out to be toms. 1 did not get any black. He's solid white so I can't really compair favorite breeds? But I love my boys! They follow me or who evers outside all over the place doing their puff sound and strutting their stuff. If I sit on the porch 1 I call Rocky will come sit with me. And my solid white always comes and sits in the kitchen window wanting treats when I'm doing dishes. And he makes is little chirp noises. (He can be pretty mean sometimes) but not to me? Mac the 3rd one I have left is a little more standoffish. But will take treats out of your habd follow you and doesnt make much of a fuss when you pick him up. 1 sold Rambo. And had planned on selling Mac and Marty bc honestly I just don't need that many toms. And iv been trying to find hens but have had no luck on either count. But I love the palms. I think Marty has more personality than the other 2 they are kinda like robot turkeys puff strut puff strut. Lol and I did have a hen for a bit but they weren't very interested?

"And he makes is little chirp noises. (He can be pretty mean sometimes) but not to me?"

YOU are his hen, lol. I had 3 toms previously that would show off and strutt for me but finally started going after my husband and sons so they had to go :-(
All of the toms I have now are wonderful and not the least bit aggressive.

Val

FOrtunately I have not had any tom issues. Like you, val , off with their heads!! Love turkey soup.

I have auburns, narri, sweetgrass and bourbons. I"m partial to the bourbons for the color: like a flashy chestnut horse with lots of chrome . THe sweets let me pick them up and put them back into their pens without a fuss.

I love the size on the auburns and the color is amazing. A milk chocolate is the best description. I asked Kevin Porter for infor on the color and because there is no standard . . . well, I have to guess what is the right coloring.

I have raised all by hand, and the BR will visit the most. THey are now penned though thru the breeding season.

"And he makes is little chirp noises. (He can be pretty mean sometimes) but not to me?"
Well I lied he thought today he was going to flog me. He's getting worse with the kids and strangers but he stays away from bf. Idk if its bc he's just bigger? Rocky is the dominant male of the 3 the other 2 no it well. Lately when marty is mean rocky will put himself between marty and watever person he's after and if his presence isn't enough he will give him 1 good peck on the beak and usually thats all it takes. Has any1 else has a turkey like this? I tell the kids call rocky he wont let marty get u. Honestly I chased marty around the yard for a few minutes after he tried to get me. Not intending to catch him or hurt him. But it worked. The rest of the day he wouldn't come near me. Lol
YOU are his hen, lol. I had 3 toms previously that would show off and strutt for me but finally started going after my husband and sons so they had to go :-(
All of the toms I have now are wonderful and not the least bit aggressive.

Val

I haven't had much experience with turkeys,had a pair of the White Broad Breasted a couple years ago and they were like a couple dogs.Followed me everywhere.The tom was a big hit at the petting zoo,he would strut right up to anybody.This year I eight poults,(2)White Broad Breasted,(2)Bronze Broad Breasted,(2)Bourbon Red,(2)Blue Slates.Planning on eating the broad breasted ones.I really like the looks of the reds and blues,they're supposed to be here in two weeks.Looking forward to it!

I have raised a lot of BBB and they are great! Easiest turkey to raise, and has a great feed to meat conversion. But I have noticed that they have no personality. Its like raising a bunch of pieces of cardboard! They are fun though. We have just started our bourbon red flock, and we are really excited. Even as poults they seem to be very interactive. We wanted to get into br because we raise meat birds for the local school system and have been wanting to have a reproducing flock. How many eggs do yall's hens lay. We are new to breeding turkeys. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom