What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

By Far Rosey. She's a Rhode Island Red. Let us pick her up from the start, loves to be carried and cradled by the kids. She was always the speediest in earthworm chase as a chick. The most saavy and willing to try things. As she got older she seemed to be low-girl on the pecking order. Which honestly surprised me for as quick and smart as she was. And now that she's laying eggs. If we stick our hand in the nest box she pecks us a bit....Protective about the eggs. She is I guess always full of surprises. But she loves us up 99.9% of the time and the hand pecking only adds to her charm. Gosh we love her sooo much.

Great pics. I especially love the one of her leaning on your leg.

I think my ISA Brown Lele is the friendliest, she runs over whenever she sees me or hears the sliding door, and she lets us carry her any time. She is at the top of the pecking order and doesn't treat her flock mates that well though . Strange. I guess everyone has two sides!

Thanks juststruttin' . It was a picture I took this june and the flock was out enjoying some sunshine and Rosey decided to plop down next to me and use me as a back rest. She's a charmer. Family Favorite for sure although the rest of the flock get plenty of attention and love too.

Our white leghorn. She doesnt seem quite part of the "flock" (of 3) the other two dont hang out with her, but she is the friendliest. My 19 month old baby can catch her more often than anyone else.

Betty (one on the left), my wheaten ameraucana, is extremely docile and loves to be handled.
She's the star attraction when my friends come to visit!

Blue, my blue wheaten ameraucana rooster, is a bit small in this picture, he's a lot more developed now.
He might not have the best feathering for shows, but he's a great pet quality bird. When he was young he
was very tame and friendly, now-a-days he's kind-of skitish, but as soon as you catch him he reminisces
about the good-ole-days and enjoys a rubbing (small treats are always a plus :) ).

Our friendliest hen is a Rhode Island Read named Pinkey Pie, she follows me all around the yard and if the back door is opened she will come into the house hope up on a lap and take a nap. Our most aggressive and unfriendly hen as our OTHER Rhode Island Red Elizabeak. Go figure.

I really enjoyed reading this thread!

Last edited:
Charles on his daily walk! They love their walks.

My two seramas, Charles and Percilla are my friendliest chickens. They spend hours on my lap and are always the first the come over for anything.

They love children and petting zoos and are always so anxious for attention when guests come over.

My "friendliest" is my best layer Besty (not Betsy!), a red laced wyandotte. She is just a chubby girl, rose comb.
She has been just a sweetie since we adopted her.
I am awful at pictures, so i will ask my daughter to take some.
she squats if i go anywhere near her, and follows me all over the property.
My "favorite" is spike another red laced wyandotte, but she is a feisty lil troublemaker!
(spike, you cant eat foam.. spike stop pecking everyone...spike, NOOO) Always in trouble, but she is so sweet.
My other wyandottes (my rooster, Red and another unnamed hen) are somewhat standoffish unless its range time, then they all love me!
My BR and EE are very shy. they avoid any contact at all.
they are both very pretty girls, just had a bad start.
When all the birds come out to range for the day i get swarmed, arms, head, lap wherever they can perch.
My favorite isn't a chicken, its a goose, my African and her name is WeeWee!
My second favorite is WeeWee2, she is almost as loveable and also an African.
Both are an absolute dollbabies, i could hold WeeWee all day!
We play this little game, she waits till everyone is wandering and tugs at my shirt.
reaches thru the lawn chair, and tugs.... she says weeweeeweee... so very quiet...
tugs...waits... wewewewe? tugs, waits... louder!
then i pick her up and she will lay in my lap. She just loves to be held. precious
hugs.gif
love.gif

she likes to have her neck and chest petted. she loves my oldest, and even likes belly rubs!
Flipped over on her back, omg and she just coos like a gosling.
Emden are very pretty, i have 4. The Africans are much nicer and so very sweet birds!
My guineas arent social with people, but they do follow me wherever i go. my ducks are the same.
I have hand me down birds, i take in whatever is not wanted. so at least they have a little love in their life!

My friendliest chicken is a Barred Rock named BBQ. If she sees you, she will come right to you and let you pick her up. She is always the first chicken to the treats. When I am raking out the run, she will jump up onto my back and sit there. When the chickens are running around in the yard she will jump up onto my shoulder when I walk around. She is definitely my friendliest chicken.

Back
Top Bottom