What keeps hawks away?

well it seems as if my post caused quite a stir. first off i never killed a hawk because i keep my chickens locked up and under a cover. i have killed plenty of possoms and coons etc. now on to the legal part. i spoke with a game warden buddy of mine and did some research online. you can actualy get a permit to kill a hawk but they want you to not kill it at the same time, they want you to scare it away. its probably not easy to get a permit tho seemed like a bunch of red tape. they may not even issue a permit anymore i dont know because i didnt apply for one. and depending on where you are you may have "farmers rights" so check laws in your area even still tho probably not a grand idea.
i would also like to add it is unlawful even to capture these birds without a permit. and even then they want you to relocate it. so definitly dont kill it dont trap it . my research concluded you can get a big fine, really big, and also go to a federal penn which last i heard was day for day meaning you do all your time.
sorry guys. i really didnt mean to mislead anyone down a wrong path.

I also talked to a friend of mine who is in the Parks division. He said that even putting fishing line up is a problem. If a hawk swoops into your fishing line and gets caught up, you’ll have to deal with fish and game. He wasn’t sure if you put streamers ON the line, but the line is a definate no no. Wasn’t aware of that one either. You can put CD’s up, etc. I found some netting on Amazon. 50 x 50’ for $59 which INCLUDES shipping. I think 2 of those will do the job.

I also talked to a friend of mine who is in the Parks division. He said that even putting fishing line up is a problem. If a hawk swoops into your fishing line and gets caught up, you’ll have to deal with fish and game. He wasn’t sure if you put streamers ON the line, but the line is a definate no no. Wasn’t aware of that one either. You can put CD’s up, etc. I found some netting on Amazon. 50 x 50’ for $59 which INCLUDES shipping. I think 2 of those will do the job.
I use binder twine to keep herons out. They see it from a distance and do not even try. With the hawks and fishing line I am pretty sure they can see it as well. So long as it's deployment does not result in entrapment or injury you should be fine.

I use binder twine to keep herons out. They see it from a distance and do not even try. With the hawks and fishing line I am pretty sure they can see it as well. So long as it's deployment does not result in entrapment or injury you should be fine.
We finished putting up the reflective tape yesterday made streamers to hang in some of the trees, Hoping this takes care of it.
Earl-Ray some folks don't have any idea about laws and Birds of prey it's always best to check laws. Thank you for checking. My son lives close to a woman who shoots hawks a lot since her chickens free range. So far no one has reported her I think it's just a matter of time.

We finished putting up the reflective tape yesterday made streamers to hang in some of the trees, Hoping this takes care of it.
Earl-Ray some folks don't have any idea about laws and Birds of prey it's always best to check laws. Thank you for checking. My son lives close to a woman who shoots hawks a lot since her chickens free range. So far no one has reported her I think it's just a matter of time.

well i felt pretty crummy thinking that maybe just maybe something i said would have gotten someone in hot water. most of the time i dont have anything to worry about because i raise bull dogs and i got my best bully gyp, bully mae, in the fence around my chicken pen. every so often a coon or possum or whatever gets either brave or stupid. or maybe really hungry. i honestly had no idea what the laws were or i wouldnt have posted that.

you may have just reported her.

well i felt pretty crummy thinking that maybe just maybe something i said would have gotten someone in hot water. most of the time i dont have anything to worry about because i raise bull dogs and i got my best bully gyp, bully mae, in the fence around my chicken pen. every so often a coon or possum or whatever gets either brave or stupid. or maybe really hungry. i honestly had no idea what the laws were or i wouldnt have posted that.

you may have just reported her.
I doubt I just reported her since I didn't mention names or locations. She is probably not even aware of the law and someone living around her needs to inform her. Then again she may know, a lot of folks around here think it's their right to poach, hunt on land that's not theirs, and take anything that doesn't belong to them. And defend their livestock from harm which is probably what she is thinking.

One problem is that monofilament fishing line is fashioned by game and fish types into little loops or snares and then it is tied onto a wire cage with a live rat, pigeon, or chicken inside. Then and the whole thing is left in an area frequented by hawks. The hawk tries to catch the bait and is feet and talons are ensnared in the fishing line in the name of science.

On a slow day the game and fish folks may decide to make an example of some of us
hmm.png
evil
roll.png
chicken keeping hawk nappers by perp-walking us into the court house for the TV cameras. If you think it can't happen to you, just wait until you hear the bailiff say, "The defendant shall rise and face the jury."

Last edited:
I have a plastic GHO that I move around the perimeter of my run every couple of days. It has been working well for me. I know we have several red tail hawks in our area. We see them flying around almost on a daily basis.

If you are seeing hawks flying around on almost a daily basis, I doubt that the plastic scare owl around the perimeter of your run is working..

One problem is that monofilament fishing line is fashioned by game and fish types into little loops or snares and then it is tied onto a wire cage with a live rat, pigeon, or chicken inside.  Then and the whole thing is left in an area frequented by hawks.  The hawk tries to catch the bait and is feet and talons are ensnared in the fishing line in the name of science.

On a slow day the game and fish folks may decide to make an example of some of us :/  evil :rolleyes:  chicken keeping hawk nappers by perp-walking us into the court house for the TV cameras.  If you think it can't happen to you, just wait until you hear the bailiff say, "The defendant shall rise and face the jury."

I am a game and fish-type. Traps like that are very closely monitored to minmize stress on catch. Rules are pretty strict when comes handling animals these days.

I am in a snow storm in MA (11 deg ) and I just looked out the window to check on the Quail in the coop and a red tailed hawk the size of a small car was 10" from my birds. Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom