What keeps hawks away?

I have a problem with local birds stealing my chicken feed, someone told me to get this fake owl but it only worked for a few days before the pigeons and sparrows were back. What do you think is the easiest and best solution for my situation?

Cheers

Can you post a picture of your safe area. I am trying to picture your description, but would like to really see a pic of it. Thanks, Jan

We have had good luck with tying old CDs by fishing line over the chicken yard. The reflection from the sun on them seems to be effective. The only birds we have lost tothe hawk who lives in the neighbors tree is the one who flew out of the fenced yard to explore my garden!

I just had a hawk attack my silkie pullet the other day. Thankfully my roo let out this awful warning so we went running out to find the hawk hovered over my lil girl. We threw something at it and it flew off. She was shaken but mostly unhurt. My question is, would something like wind chimes help keep the Hawks away? I have a dog in the yard with them most of the time which I would think l
Helps, but that day he was inside.

Last edited:
Wind Chimes? I am going to give it a try! Thanks! I went and bought our LGD a little female to mate with next spring and she is out all day with the birds and goats and is doing a good job keeping the hawk away, but by our pond that hawk sits and waits for a chance to grab one of my ducks so I will try the wind chime out there. I have the chickens fenced off away from the pond so they are safe and now keep my ducks there as well. I only let my Sebastopols go to the pond because they are too big for this hawk to mess with.
Good luck,
Jan

All depends upon kind of hawk. Pullets / chicks are easy targets. Cover makes them harder to catch. A fully adult standard-sized rooster able to operate from cover helps. Dogs are by best weapon and they work. Breed selection is important. SIlkies and bantams are best confined tightly.

This...

I seen a group of hawks around 5-7 of them in the air gliding around my chickens and making load sounds, don't think they were red tail hawks, but the smaller cooper hawks.. Cooper hawks wont bother adult chickens but a red tail hawk might..
Coopers will bother adult chickens.....they will enter the coop and kill them...I have seen several videos to prove it...

Holwachagot

I was not trying to be disrespectful if it sounded hat way...point was they are not to be trusted around pet chickens...IMO...

..here are a few videos off hand..I'll try to find the others when I get a minute.....I had a cooper hawk on my kennel the very first day I got my chickens..Ihe hasn't come back since I tarped it over while Im building a permanent coup..... think the coops should be covered myself but obviously didn't stop the hawk from getting in the one coop in the video anyway...I am gonna have a hard time being sweet to anything that kills my chickens....

Holwachagot

Back
Top Bottom