What not to feed chickens

Every morning I let my chickens out to free range and they make a beeline to the dogs food bowl to finish off any dog food that might be in there. Will it hurt them to eat a little dry dog food?

Only if the dog sees them........
lau.gif
lau.gif

We gave our chickens banana for the first time today. They loved it! Our girls are free range during the day and when they see me come out of the house they know the watermelon is coming :) I had no idea I would love having backyard chickens so much. We have 8 hens and they are approx 10 weeks old.

My 11 chickens love cherry tomatoes from our garden. I throw them some scratch which they love also. They are 4 months old and three have started laying eggs! So I have now started them on layer feed.

I read you shouldn't give them raw green beans. I give mine grass too from time to time as when I let them out they love grass. I don't let my chickens out often because they don't want to go back in their coop. :-(

Mine LOVE over ripe bananas and donut holes are a fav (the occasional hard as a rock left over donut is popular as well). We don't give them sugary treats very often but do give them items that we won't eat or left overs. The foods that are full of chemicals (plastic wrapper foods we call them) don't generally go in our compost or chicken bucket. We do however give them anything else that has sat too long in our fridge or pantry.

welcome-byc.gif
Chickens will eat most anything but you should not feed them things that have spoiled. I don't know about other people's chickens but if I offered mine only fruit rinds they would stand there and laugh at me. I do give them fruit that is slightly overripe - bananas are a favorite (of my girls). Grasss clippings are fine and so is cabbage, lettuce, kale, broccoli, etc. About the only vegetable mine won't eat is carrots - not cooked, raw, grated, sliced, purreed - just not at all. While they will eat (devour) french fries, you should not feed them raw potatoes or potato peels. Be certain that they are getting the majority of their diet from a properly formulated feed -- starter, maintenance or layer according to their age and needs. Even when fed an optimal diet as mentioned they will still appreciate all the treats you have to offer. Many people give their chickens leftovers and when I fix spaghetti, I allways cook some extra noodles for the girls - just because it is such fun to watch them play chicken keep away with the noodles.
lau.gif
I also raise earthworms and give them a few a couple of times a week. When they see me get the shovel, they all come running. Apparently, I'm easily amused.
How about organic/non GMO chips? But the sodium content is 90mg for 1 oz. They do love chips

Someone on here posted that they give their chickens cabbage.  In the list plants to not feed, cabbage is listed. Confused!!!

The list that azmotogirl linked to is mostly a list of what you CAN feed your chickens. The few things NOT to feed are listed at the very bottom.

I realize this post is old but I learned something today. An 11 year old month hen died suddenly. Due to fear of avian flu the county had it autopsied and it was discovered that her liver exploded due to eating too many sunflower seeds! A treat I feed them every day. Ayayay. The seeds are too fatty and they can't handle it. I am now holding my breath that the others will be ok. Gave them two treat times today. I have never seen anywhere that it was bad for them.

I realize this post is old but I learned something today. An 11 year old month hen died suddenly. Due to fear of avian flu the county had it autopsied and it was discovered that her liver exploded due to eating too many sunflower seeds! A treat I feed them every day. Ayayay. The seeds are too fatty and they can't handle it. I am now holding my breath that the others will be ok. Gave them two treat times today. I have never seen anywhere that it was bad for them.
I'm so glad you posted this. I give my chickens sunflower seeds every day. Scary, I will cut back considerably.

Back
Top Bottom