What other ducks can successfully mate with a welsh harlequin?

Wish you had pictures. I would love to see what they look like!

Edit because I just noticed this post is pretty old lol. I'd love to know if you added any new duckies and how that's going :)
I had to get rid of my welshies. I won't be getting them again in the future unless and until I can get an area fenced off from my dogs, with a gate for me to get into! My dog kept trying to kill them!

my male pekin passed away the only other male i have is my silver WH.. my female pekin is sitting on 5 eggs.. should i let them hatch? or take them away? does anyone know what they might look like if they hatch? I do want more ducks but i am not sure if its ok to let them hatch? please any info will be helpful, thank you

chickmchickie, WH drake to pekin duck is a good out-cross that is sometimes done on purpose. Egg laying ability is inherited mostly from fathers, so your girls have good utility. Mother makes them a good meat bird, so drakes also have good utility. Your babies will likely have white splashes on them but could also be solid. I've heard that some WH/pekin crosses are black and white!?? A white pekin can hide other color genes because the white genes cover everything else. You could get a lot of different colors or get a consistent batch, who knows? That is what is fun about out-crossing, surprises. The cross is a pretty good one. Have fun with it. If you decide to do it...post us some pictures of what you get.

Last edited:
I know this is a VERY old post... but I have ducks again. Unfortunately our dog that was going after them had to be put down as he became aggressive with our daughter...

I decided on more welsh harlequins and silver appleyards. I plan on keeping the welsh harlequin drake 2 welsh harlequin hens and 1 silver appleyard hen. I'm hoping that we get appleyard/welsh mixes. Has anyone done that?

Back
Top Bottom