What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Pics
Good for you! Are they both males? Just another warning, if you keep two males together, they will fight each other! Good luck with them.

I have actually found that two males will get along together a lot better than two females. Man, once they start 'getting into a mood', they become vicious with each other. Then when one claims the territory as theirs (aka cage) it is a horrible mess of a fight, sometimes to death. So, for pets, give me a male.

However, we have been raising and breeding and showing Mini Rex for 6 years. My favorite one of all time was Sable, a Castor MR who I loved dearly and he loved me too. I know this because he used to whisper in my ear when I held him. Now, coming from a 46-year old woman who is normally not one you would think of as snuggling a bunny, that is saying something.
My son also got an ND abou 3 years ago. We finally got a live litter from her last spring and still have her son, an REW, who she is bred to right now and due this week or next (forgot to write down the date).
My daughter is getting a pair of Holland Lops for "her" breed. We share the MRs. We have 9 MRs. 3 NDs and 2 Californians that I just got a month ago to start raising meat rabbits. I may get some New Zealands too this year to add to that and I AM getting a pair of Calis next month.
I will post pics later.

I have actually found that two males will get along together a lot better than two females. Man, once they start 'getting into a mood', they become vicious with each other. Then when one claims the territory as theirs (aka cage) it is a horrible mess of a fight, sometimes to death. So, for pets, give me a male.

However, we have been raising and breeding and showing Mini Rex for 6 years. My favorite one of all time was Sable, a Castor MR who I loved dearly and he loved me too. I know this because he used to whisper in my ear when I held him. Now, coming from a 46-year old woman who is normally not one you would think of as snuggling a bunny, that is saying something.
My son also got an ND abou 3 years ago. We finally got a live litter from her last spring and still have her son, an REW, who she is bred to right now and due this week or next (forgot to write down the date).
My daughter is getting a pair of Holland Lops for "her" breed. We share the MRs. We have 9 MRs. 3 NDs and 2 Californians that I just got a month ago to start raising meat rabbits. I may get some New Zealands too this year to add to that and I AM getting a pair of Calis next month.
I will post pics later.

They do get together a lot better than does, but they still will fight. I had a friend once who kept two bucks together and they fought to death...

I went to get feed. Remembered scratch and vitamins, but have to go back tomorrow for the feed. Instead I can home with what I think is a Mini Rex or a mix and a Lionlop. Time to build another cage.
th.gif
I'm breeding Lionlops also, but I really hadn't thought to buy one till I saw her. Should never have stopped to look before the feed store.

I went to get feed. Remembered scratch and vitamins, but have to go back tomorrow for the feed. Instead I can home with what I think is a Mini Rex or a mix and a Lionlop. Time to build another cage.
th.gif
I'm breeding Lionlops also, but I really hadn't thought to buy one till I saw her. Should never have stopped to look before the feed store.
There is chicken math, but there is even rabbit math! For example, I went to a huge ARBA show this year, wasn't supposed to get any animals, and came home with 2. Same thing happened two years ago.:)

Quote:

I will post pics later.
A lot of people I know with rabbits, all have males that kill each other. I tried to let mine play together, and they did. Or kill each other, but they mounted each other.

There is chicken math, but there is even rabbit math! For example, I went to a huge ARBA show this year, wasn't supposed to get any animals, and came home with 2. Same thing happened two years ago.
smile.png

That's how the Lionheads started. Went to a show and one of the exhibitors gave me 2 does. Had to have a buck, so Wascal was bought that day. Just wanted to contatct some Lionhead breeders and decide later. Nope, brought home 3! Tabbot math has always been a given though. LOL

I do not think so. There are several reasons why she would have done this:
1. She rejected her babies
2. She knew they would not survive (most likely the reason)
3. She was too young and did not know how to the care of them.
This could happen again, or it could not. It depends on the rabbit. Sometimes they just need a little bit of experience.

Mmkay...this is the second time this year she's done this. I know she knows how to take care of them, because last year she had a successful litter, and she likely had several before I got her. I might try with her once more, and see how she does. Thanks! :)

A lot of people I know with rabbits, all have males that kill each other. I tried to let mine play together, and they did. Or kill each other, but they mounted each other.

I think if they are raised from kits or weaned together kits, it goes much better. I had some together for the longest time that never did anything to each other, but then another time had one that beat up a smaller one from his own litter. It all depends on the rabbit when you get down to it. I had two does go at it with blood and fur flying and that was that last time I let does stay in the same cage over 3-months of age.
I do know that the males make better house rabbits (from research) if they are not allowed to breed first.

That's how the Lionheads started. Went to a show and one of the exhibitors gave me 2 does. Had to have a buck, so Wascal was bought that day. Just wanted to contatct some Lionhead breeders and decide later. Nope, brought home 3! Tabbot math has always been a given though. LOL

How can you resist those beautiful show rabbits!
smile.png

I think if they are raised from kits or weaned together kits, it goes much better. I had some together for the longest time that never did anything to each other, but then another time had one that beat up a smaller one from his own litter. It all depends on the rabbit when you get down to it. I had two does go at it with blood and fur flying and that was that last time I let does stay in the same cage over 3-months of age.
I do know that the males make better house rabbits (from research) if they are not allowed to breed first.

I don't really think males are always better. It depends on your personal preference. I personally prefer does over bucks.

Back
Top Bottom