What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Pics
How can you resist those beautiful show rabbits!
smile.png

That's the problem. I didn't!
gig.gif

bunnies cna be sucessfully kept together of any sex (assuming neutered/spayed) HOWEVER there needs t be enough space...most problems from keeping buns together come from trying to keep them in too small a space. does particularly are highly territorial and need a large amount of space.

in terms of house buns, a neutered male (or pair of neuthered males) in my experience are the best.

Again, regardless of the circumstances, some rabbits are just fighters and won't leave others alone once they get to a certain age. I had an MR buck that went for cull. He was put in with other rabbits where none of them had territory, a transport cage, and he tore into all the other rabbits when he was the last one in. My friends who have raised, literally, thousands of rabbits said he was the meanest rabbit they ever saw. His name was Cuddly, but should have been T-Rex!
He ripped my son's hand open too one time, about 1 1/2" tear with his teeth. Do you know why he was a cull?

Again, regardless of the circumstances, some rabbits are just fighters and won't leave others alone once they get to a certain age. I had an MR buck that went for cull. He was put in with other rabbits where none of them had territory, a transport cage, and he tore into all the other rabbits when he was the last one in. My friends who have raised, literally, thousands of rabbits said he was the meanest rabbit they ever saw. His name was Cuddly, but should have been T-Rex!
He ripped my son's hand open too one time, about 1 1/2" tear with his teeth. Do you know why he was a cull?

This is very interesting. I have an Opal Mini Rex buck and he is the meanest rabbit ever. He never did anything to is litter mates, he was spoiled as a baby, and he was nice when I first bought him. However, he turned evil after a few months and we never did anything to cause it. We still have him only because he was my first rabbit and i did not have the heart to get rid of him, especially for meat. He only likes my dad, and will even bite him sometimes. The only thing he does all day is mount his toy squirrel, eat food, and try to bite me. He also smells really bad. I don't now what's wrong with him, but we think think it's something mental. There is no reason for his behavior, and here is no way to stop it. Next time we get a rabbit like him, it's off to the meat pen!

Okay, so a little off topic....but I was wondering if anyone knew what the breed standard for a mini rex is? Or what a nice mini rex looks like? I'm wanting to get another doe, and I'm curious as to how my buck rates. Thanks!

Okay, so a little off topic....but I was wondering if anyone knew what the breed standard for a mini rex is? Or what a nice mini rex looks like? I'm wanting to get another doe, and I'm curious as to how my buck rates. Thanks!

If you want to know, either A.) Get a Standards of Perfection for Rabbits, they are not expensive, or B.) find a good breeder near you and ask them to show you what a good MR looks like. I could tell you, but I think it is best if you can see it. Oh, or C.) find a show near you and go. The judges tell, aloud, what is good and not good about each rabbit as they place them. It is quite a good experience to go and see then do it.
But you can also set him up and post it.

This is very interesting. I have an Opal Mini Rex buck and he is the meanest rabbit ever. He never did anything to is litter mates, he was spoiled as a baby, and he was nice when I first bought him. However, he turned evil after a few months and we never did anything to cause it. We still have him only because he was my first rabbit and i did not have the heart to get rid of him, especially for meat. He only likes my dad, and will even bite him sometimes. The only thing he does all day is mount his toy squirrel, eat food, and try to bite me. He also smells really bad. I don't now what's wrong with him, but we think think it's something mental. There is no reason for his behavior, and here is no way to stop it. Next time we get a rabbit like him, it's off to the meat pen!

Personally, I think there are times you have to learn to put those emotions aside and 'do the right thing'. That rabbit is not going to get better and he may hurt someone. I would cull him. I know it is hard, I just had to put my favorite rooster down for coming after me, AGAIN. I just can't have that kind of animal around, it does nothing to improve anything, and with a mean rabbit, it is a liability.

I wanted to add, you should take him out and check him over if you keep him around. Fly strike could be what is causing the awful smell. I bought a rabbit and some cages and such and an old buck was thrown into the deal. I got him home and he had fly strike SO bad that I almost had to put him down. My vet suggested I do it, and he was really bad off. I managed to get him cleared up and he is back like a young buck. But if they have it and it is not tended to, it can kill them and it is an awful way to let an animal suffer. It may effect his behavior too. Does he sit and move with his butt tucked under him? Pull him out, flip him and look really good.

I wanted to add, you should take him out and check him over if you keep him around. Fly strike could be what is causing the awful smell. I bought a rabbit and some cages and such and an old buck was thrown into the deal. I got him home and he had fly strike SO bad that I almost had to put him down. My vet suggested I do it, and he was really bad off. I managed to get him cleared up and he is back like a young buck. But if they have it and it is not tended to, it can kill them and it is an awful way to let an animal suffer. It may effect his behavior too. Does he sit and move with his butt tucked under him? Pull him out, flip him and look really good.

He is fine. He has always had a nasty smell,especially his pee. We do take him out of the cage occasionally and clip his nails, attempt to brush him, and let him run around the side yard. He does not walk around with a tucked butt, and his butt is pretty clean except for old pee and rust stains (rust from his cage). Plus, he loves to musk. There is nothing wrong with him, he just has always smelt like feet.

Back
Top Bottom