What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Pics
I would not try to put them together. If you are going to do that, it should be done when they are young. I personnally do not like mixing rabbit's at all. BTW he is cute! I have six rabbits and a litter on the way. All of them are outside except the one we do not have a cage for. The only time my rabbits come inside is when we let them in to play. Mine do fine outside in the winter, but we have to put fans on them in the summer. Rabbits like winter more than summer. With my climate, we get freezing winters, and really hot summers. Rabbits are just fine alone, but will need your attention. In fact, they need just as much attention as a dog or cat. True fact, that I just found out. BTW if Macy was mean to her littermate she will most likely be mean to another rabbit. I would advise against putting them together. Another tip, don't feed them too many carrots! They are full of sugars and are known to cause cancer in rabbits! A small carrot once in a while is fine, but one a day is no good for them. Their diet is the most important thing you have to watch because vegetables all have different compositions, and too much of one thing is bad. You don't want too much calcium. This can cause blockages in their systems. The reason I am talking about the diet is because it is very important to rabbits. Sorry my info is all over the place, but I wrote ideas as I go. Hope that helps you. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks.
The horse rescue folks put the carrot in with him for his ride over, I took it away. The photo was moments after he arrived. They also had him on sweet feed for a day. I usually only give Macy the leaves from carrots, and the very rare end of a carrot I cut for soup. Or a parsnip tip. I usually give most table scraps to the ducks & chickens & not many treats to Macy other than Kale stems and leafy greens.
I have him on the rabbit pellets. And water.
They had him on hay, but I have him raised up on a wire floor. I have alfalfa cubes and timothy hay, but not in with him now because I am not sure how much hay he has had & want him to adapt to his feed for a week or so first, right?
I will not try to put them together.
Macy has time in the house, and time out in the garden with me, or in an exercise yard. I have a large hutch for her, and she has a digging area & an upstairs. Right now the new baby is inside in a metal cage. I want him to get used to me, and make sure he is in good condition before I bring him out... if I bring him out.

How far away from one another should they be in the yard?

Thanks.
The horse rescue folks put the carrot in with him for his ride over, I took it away.  The photo was moments after he arrived.  They also had him on sweet feed for a day.  I usually only give Macy the leaves from carrots, and the very rare end of a carrot I cut for soup.  Or a parsnip tip.  I usually give most table scraps to the ducks & chickens & not many treats to Macy other than Kale stems and leafy greens.
I have him on the rabbit pellets.  And water.
They had him on hay, but I have him raised up on a wire floor.  I have alfalfa cubes and timothy hay, but not in with him now because I am not sure how much hay he has had & want him to adapt to his feed for a week or so first, right?
I will not try to put them together.
Macy has time in the house, and time out in the garden with me, or in an exercise yard.  I have a large hutch for her, and she has a digging area & an upstairs.  Right now the new baby is inside in a metal cage.  I want him to get used to me, and make sure he is in good condition before I bring him out... if I bring him out.

How far away from one another should they be in the yard?

It doesn't really matter how far away form each other they are. I have a divided two rabbit hutch with a female on one side and a male on the other and I have no problems. They can be as close as you want. The hutch distance does not mater. The only rabbit I keep isolated from the others is my mean rabbit. You sound like you have the diet thing down. Carrot tops are fine for them to eat. Watch with Parsnip though, don't give them the root! They can have a such hay as they want. With the pellets, if you are using a different brand than them, I suggest you mix his old food, and your food in his bowl for a week so he gets used to it. That's only if they gave you some of his old food though. again, he is really cute! What breeds are they? Macy looks like a Holland Lop, and I'm guessing the new one is a Lionhead?

I think Macy is a Holland Lop, she was a rescue as well, so I am not 100% sure.
The new guy is an English Angora. I need to get better pics. He is sweet & has a darling mustache.
Thanks for all of your pointers. I may look for a divided hutch for outside, but I have so many hutches right now, I sort of wanted to downsize.

I think Macy is a Holland Lop, she was a rescue as well, so I am not 100% sure.
The new guy is an English Angora.  I need to get better pics.  He is sweet & has a darling mustache. 
Thanks for all of your pointers.  I may look for a divided hutch for outside, but I have so many hutches right now, I sort of wanted to downsize.

I love English Angoras! My mom won't let me have one though. She says they're too much work. The closest I have to an Angora, is an American Fuzzy Lop!

Just bred my NZ white doe today! She was killing for some babies. This is my first time breeding, so I have some questions.
- Do I switch the feed to a higher protein? I have her on what I believe is 17% protein. I use Purina Show, but do I move her to the higher protein level? (18%)
- Do I feed her Alfalfa hay instead of Timothy?
- now, this is a question regarding color. I have a white doe, that I bred to a red buck. Can the kits be broken? I know black and white NZ's create broken B and W, but I have never seen broken red and white. Is it possible? I don't see why not, but I just have never seen them before.
New Zealand Black x New Zealand White does not equal Broken New Zealand. The Broken pattern only occurs when a rabbit inherits the Broken gene from one of its parents. The Broken pattern puts white on an otherwise colored animal, but just how much white depends on modifiers found elsewhere in the rabbit's genetic makeup. You could have an animal with just a little bit of white on the face, the chest, and the feet (referred to as "booted") or you could have an animal with just a tiny bit of color on the ears and around the eyes - both extremes are still the broken pattern. The only way you could get Brokens from crossing a black to a Ruby-Eyed White would be if the REW just happened to be carrying a Broken gene. Since the REW's coat is already white, you can't see the action of the Broken gene. I mean, really, what would a broken REW look like?lol And yes, anything that puts color on the coat can come in Broken. I once had a Broken Himi Mini Rex. Took me a while to figure out why that Himi didn't have black feet and the underside of her tail was white. She also had elbow spots, but only in the winter!
th.gif

- Is there any other special care I should be aware of?
Geez. I have baby chicks coming in a few weeks, and then possibly kits not long after the chicks' arrival. My house will be overloaded with baby animals!
Good luck with the chickies, and fingers crossed for your NZ doe!

m.kitchengirl, if both rabbits are altered, the only problem I can see with housing your rabbits side-by-side might be fur chewing. I don't know why some rabbits will do it (boredom, maybe) but an Angora that has been partly sheared by the rabbit next door can look a bit odd. Also, it isn't good for the "barber," it will be as susceptible to wool block as the Angora.

Last edited:
Thank you!

***BTW m.kitchengirl, now that I found out he is an angora, I agree with bunny lady. Do not house them side by side, unless there is some kind of screen in the middle. We have a Fuzzy Lop female next to a Holland Lop buck, but there is plexiglass covering the wire, to prevent fur chewing. Also, your buck may try to spray your doe with pee. I had two bucks next to each other, with only wire divider, and although they did not fight, one did pee on the other and ruined each other's coats, so they were separated. Also, with Angoras regular grooming is required, and I would watch for hairballs. Rabbits can get them, especially furry rabbits and since they cannot hack it up, it can be deadly. You will know if they have one when they stop eating, stop drinking, and stop pooping. There is hairball remedy, that can be bought from pet and feed stores. Another important thing, if he is an Angora, I would keep a VERY close watch on him in the summer. It might be best to keep him indoors int he summer, unless you can get him shade, a fan, and you can spray him on the neck with water. In the summer, we put up umbrellas for our rabbits, put fans near the hutches, spray their necks with cool water, and we sometimes take empty plastic bottles, fill them with water, freeze them, and place them in their cages to lay on. Just make sure they don't chew the plastic, but that is usually not a problem. Or, you can take a tile from the store and frees it, but the cool does not last as long.

<------- That is my little girl, but sadly, I don't know what kind she is. I got her at the feed store near my house and she was labeled "assorted dwarf mix". She is sweet as can be and loves to hop around while i do housework. She's so funny, i'll put her on the bed and she'll hop to one side and i'll drum on the bed with my hands and she comes running to give me nose kisses. then she'll hop off and then come back and do it again. she is almost 2* months old, she was 5* weeks old when I got her. i put asterix because thats's what the store told me. I have more pictures if anyone wants to see them, but can someone tell me what kind she is?

<------- That is my little girl, but sadly, I don't know what kind she is. I got her at the feed store near my house and she was labeled "assorted dwarf mix". She is sweet as can be and loves to hop around while i do housework. She's so funny, i'll put her on the bed and she'll hop to one side and i'll drum on the bed with my hands and she comes running to give me nose kisses. then she'll hop off and then come back and do it again. she is almost 2* months old, she was 5* weeks old when I got her. i put asterix because thats's what the store told me. I have more pictures if anyone wants to see them, but can someone tell me what kind she is?
How old is she? Is she full grown? If so, about how much does she weigh? She looks like a Dutch rabbit to me. Also looks like my netherland dwarfs in the face a little.
hmm.png

Anyway- Happy to have found this thread! I breed Netherland Dwarf bunnies. I LOVE them. They weren't on the 'poll' though! Have ten seniors and 3 litters right now. I breed mainly Blue-eyed whites and I breed for temperament. My 6 year old daughter will show some this summer. We've been doing it for a year. My website is http://www.newmanfamilyrabbitry.weebly.com

I keep them in an insulated, finished shed in wire bottom cages, separated only by a wall of caging between each cage. I don't use plexiglass between. They get a diet of 18% protein right now with some calf manna to the nursing does. I feed Poulin Grain. They get free fed Timothy Hay. They get played with daily by my daughter and myself.

Back
Top Bottom