What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Well, Siamese Sable and Blue Tort are both self-patterned colors, and self is the most recessive in its series, so you can be sure you won't get any agouti or tan-patterned colors. Each of those rabbits is expressing different dominant and recessive genes in other series, so there are a lot of possibilities. The most likely result is Black. Depending on what recessives the rabbits might be carrying but not expressing, you could easily get Blue, Blue or Black Tort, Siamese Sable, Smoke Pearl, Sable Point. Do you have their pedigrees?

I have 2 tort does, 1 blue point doe, 1 broken black buck, and 1 Siamese sable buck. Which should I breed to which? All are Holland Lops
You should breed each doe to whichever buck is stronger in whatever features the doe lacks. A long doe to a shorter buck, a doe with a narrow head to a buck with a wide head, one that may lack a bit in coat to one that has a coat that just won't quit, that sort of thing. On a show table, you get a grand total of 4 points for color and markings; as long as the rabbit is a showable color, that's it. You get almost twice as many points (7) for the quality of the coat than you do for the color of it. You get a total of 42 points for the head, ears, and crown, and another 32 points for the body - it seems obvious to me what's more important.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Well, Siamese Sable and Blue Tort are both self-patterned colors, and self is the most recessive in its series, so you can be sure you won't get any agouti or tan-patterned colors. Each of those rabbits is expressing different dominant and recessive genes in other series, so there are a lot of possibilities. The most likely result is Black. Depending on what recessives the rabbits might be carrying but not expressing, you could easily get Blue, Blue or Black Tort, Siamese Sable, Smoke Pearl, Sable Point. Do you have their pedigrees?

No, I do not have pedigrees. The other color rabbits we have are , black, REW, Blue. They are Lionhead does. The buck and one doe have lop ears so I guess they are lionlops. I do know that two of them carry the blue eye gene.

They started out as a project for my 13 yr old, but now Mama has the bunny fever. Rabbit count at the time is the the 5 Lionhead ages 4-7 months.

We also have a Black Netherland Dwarf buck who is 4yrs old. A Otter Netherland Dwarf doe who is 1.5 yrs and she has 6 kits that will be 8 weeks old Friday. There are kit pics a few post back. I love the Chocolate Otter. Kids are trying to get me to keep it. Its a doe.

Last edited:
Do you guys have a tried and true way to be sure your doe is pregnant? We bred both of our does to our buck about 10 days ago. One was very receptive to breeding, one ran from the buck and wouldn't submit. I didn't think the second one took, but wanted to wait at least two weeks before rebreeding. The second, nervous doe is showing classic signs of pregnancy (seriously?), digging in her litter box, swollen nipples, hides in the back of her cage (but isn't aggressive). I haven't attempted to palpate her yet, it could be a false, but she does seem pregnant. The receptive doe, I'm not so sure. Her behavior is, if anything. friendlier. Today she jumped out of her hutch while I was feeding her, and ran to the buck's hutch, circling it. Her nipples do seem a little swollen, but not as much as the other doe. I did try to palpate her, but couldn't really tell anything. I'm going to see if our 4H leader can come over and help me palpate her. Obviously we don't want to rebreed unless we are sure she isn't. But I thought her interest in the buck was strange, don't they avoid the bucks when pregnant? She was def. trying to get to him, and he was going crazy in his hutch! Do any of your girls act this way when pregnant? I have read so many website/articles about "diagnosing" pregnancy in does, and it sounds like it can be pretty tricky to be sure. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom