What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
I love genetics. I am delving into torts only because I unexpectedly got one in my last litter. I bred 2 NZR who were both out of red parents but each had a black NZ grandparent. I just love this little tort so am going to keep him to breed back to his mom. Being an AmChin breeder I'm not normally into color but sometimes certain ones just catch your eye. ;-)

can I see some pictures of you AmChins?

I love genetics. I am delving into torts only because I unexpectedly got one in my last litter. I bred 2 NZR who were both out of red parents but each had a black NZ grandparent. I just love this little tort so am going to keep him to breed back to his mom. Being an AmChin breeder I'm not normally into color but sometimes certain ones just catch your eye. ;-)

can I see some pictures of you AmChins?

Posed or just hanging out. I have some hanging out pics on my phone... I think I have Louise (several firsts and is full brother to my buck who went BOB at the KY state fair last year) and her daughter Aimee. Aimee is one of 4 AmChins I sent to the University of Arkansas to start their 4-H rabbit project.

Last edited:
Posed or just hanging out. I have some hanging out pics on my phone... I think I have Louise (several firsts and is full brother to my buck who went BOB at the KY state fair last year) and her daughter Aimee. Aimee is one of 4 AmChins I sent to the University of Arkansas to start their 4-H rabbit project.
either one is fine:) they are very nice looking rabbits! I just got 3 almost 2 weeks ago. Do you use them for meat or just show?

either one is fine:) they are very nice looking rabbits! I just got 3 almost 2 weeks ago. Do you use them for meat or just show?
Both... First culls are based on lower growth rates.

are either of these rabbits showable?
00C0C_gwmquGXN3bc_600x450.jpg
00j0j_2BAgn7vR85l_600x450.jpg
If this is two different Holland Lops, all I can say is I don't see any DQ's on either of them. They are both very typey; the only obvious problem I see in these pictures is that they both apparently have a bit of ear control. I am assuming that they are quite young? The ear thing usually improves as they mature; most judges won't count off for ear control in a junior. The ideal is that the ear hangs straight down the side of the rabbit's head, and a really wide head can do that even in a junior, so a judge might say something about them being a little narrow in the crown.

Last edited:
If this is two different Holland Lops, all I can say is I don't see any DQ's on either of them. They are both very typey; the only obvious problem I see in these pictures is that they both apparently have a bit of ear control. I am assuming that they are quite young? The ear thing usually improves as they mature; most judges won't count off for ear control in a junior. The ideal is that the ear hangs straight down the side of the rabbit's head, and a really wide head can do that even in a junior, so a judge might say something about them being a little narrow in the crown. 

Yes, that would help too, age and are these urs or u looking to buy them?

@chickadee5002
  With that many new buns, who wouldn't be excited about showing them off? They look marvelous - congrats! (BTW, Stormy is a Gold-tipped Steel, in case you were wondering);)

@Lynzi777

Orange, tort, and torted otter are all the result of a rabbit having two copies of the non-extension gene(ee). The main difference is what they have in the A series. If the rabbit has an Agouti gene (A), it will be an orange. If it has two copies of the self gene (aa), it's a tort. Two copies of the tan gene (a[SUP]t[/SUP]a[SUP]t[/SUP]) or one of tan and one of self (a[SUP]t[/SUP]a) gives you a tan-patterned rabbit; in this case, a torted otter. So you see, you can't have a "torted orange." 

The non-extension gene works by pushing the dark pigment (eumelanin) off the hair shaft, allowing only a relatively small amount of it to remain. In an animal that would have a whole lot of the dark pigment (a self-patterned animal) that allows a fair amount of the yellow/red pigment (pheomelanin) to show through on the body hairs, but areas where the hair is shorter and the color more concentrated, the remaining dark color kind of covers it up. On an Agouti-patterned animal, you get a large band of yellow/red pigment on the body hairs, with just a bit of dark pigment left on the tip of the hairs.

In a breed like the Netherland Dwarf, a red rabbit has a red belly, too. That is caused by the wide band gene (w), which also reduces the amount of dark pigment on the hair. Combine wide band and non-extension, and almost all of the dark pigment is removed from the coat. There are also a few helper genes called rufous modifiers that ramp up the amount of red/yellow pigment to get that deep, dark red color. Red Mini Rexes have deep red body color, but white or cream bellies. They have non-extension and rufous, but not the wide band, so they still have a bit of dark pigment on the tips of their hairs. Good red Mini Rex have chocolate genes; since brown isn't that far from deep red/orange, you don't see the dark tips. Sometimes you get red Mini Rex with black genes, not chocolate, and the black tips are very obvious (that is often called "smutty" or "sooty").

I think that is what is going on with the bun whose color you aren't sure about. It looks like an orange to me, but there is a bit of dark pigment on the tips of the body hairs, making it a sooty or smutty orange.

Okay I'm completely over whelmed with the genetics. I have a Siamese Sable buck. When I cross him over my Blue Torte doe what will I get?

Back
Top Bottom