What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
My new zealand white doe is about 2 years old and the first time I bred her was a little over a month ago,it is 10 days after she was supposed to have them and I looked in her nest box and she pulled fur for the first time. Anyone have any suggestions?

My new zealand white doe is about 2 years old and the first time I bred her was a little over a month ago,it is 10 days after she was supposed to have them and I looked in her nest box and she pulled fur for the first time. Anyone have any suggestions?
My guess is that she is currently having a false pregnancy. I had a doe not to long ago, who pulled fur on about day 16. All she did was place it in her nest box area, and as you can probably guess didn't have any popples. Some does will go all out in a false pregnancy, building a complete and huge nest for their babies- which annoying for us, often do not arrive!
Two years of age is much to old for a doe to be bred for the first time, even for a rabbit of her breed and size.
Have you tried palpating her? If so, could you feel anything? It maybe simply be that she has built up allot of internal fat, which would make it very hard for her to get pregnant in the first place. If this is the case, hay is a great option for a weight loss program for bunnies :)
But if on the other hand, she is in fact expecting popples, I honestly don't think there would be much hope of them living. I do not have much advise for you in this part, but I'm sure others will pitch in :)

Hope it goes well!

Thanks,actually I looked in there earlier and the fur was movin and she was having one so I gave her a handful of straw on the hutch wire outside the nestbox and left her alone cause the only thing in there was her fur cause I thought she had a false pregnancy so I took all the bedding out. I'l post pics tomorrow

I have a 7 month old (blue) Silver fox doe. This is her first litter. She's a day late (32 days). She's normally very skittish and doesn't like to be touched. Today she's been rather slow, but I stayed away from her because I didn't want to stress her...

I just came into the house and sat down and I heard her screaming. I went out and she's on her side panting. I checked her privates and she didn't really react. She stood for a moment then went back on her side. I'm in NC and it's been about 75 most of the day... She has urine on her back legs, not a lot. I don't see any sign of a kit in the birth canal...

I don't have any way to go into town, is there anything I can do for her right now?!

She's having spasms, I believe when she has contractions. She's salivating all down her chin.

Thanks,actually I looked in there earlier and the fur was movin and she was having one so I gave her a handful of straw on the hutch wire outside the nestbox and left her alone cause the only thing in there was her fur cause I thought she had a false pregnancy so I took all the bedding out. I'l post pics tomorrow
Wow, so is this ten days late from the exact day she was meant to have them (like day 30 or something?)? Or ten days late from the day her nest box went in?

I have a 7 month old (blue) Silver fox doe. This is her first litter. She's a day late (32 days). She's normally very skittish and doesn't like to be touched. Today she's been rather slow, but I stayed away from her because I didn't want to stress her...

I just came into the house and sat down and I heard her screaming. I went out and she's on her side panting. I checked her privates and she didn't really react. She stood for a moment then went back on her side. I'm in NC and it's been about 75 most of the day... She has urine on her back legs, not a lot. I don't see any sign of a kit in the birth canal...

I don't have any way to go into town, is there anything I can do for her right now?!

She's having spasms, I believe when she has contractions. She's salivating all down her chin.

Any updates?
She's not sounding to good, but let nature do her job. Unless of corse ur able to get help

She was squealing and grunting with her contractions a while ago. Now her legs are twitching again. Still no sign of a baby in the birth canal. But I can feel them in her stomach.

There are some good threads. One is "Chickens Shouldn't be in Cages". Lots of help and ideas. I love letting mine run up and down their ladder into a dirt play yard. But they are still locked on their hutch at night. But they love that little bit of freedom. They are waiting at the door in the morning for me to open it. They run up and down and kick up their bunny heels. They still voluntarily spend time lying around their hutch.

I believe we have blast off :bun  - The buck, the doe and I figured it out lol.  I'm pretty scratched up but vert excited,  Time to figure out how to trim my does nails.  Good Lord does she hate to be carried.  The calendar is marked for 10 days to try palpation, 28 days to put the nest box in and 31 days to look out for pinkies.  He succeeded two times then she started getting snarky with him so I took her out.  Patience is not my strongest character trait.  No time like the present to learn. Did I mention how excited I am?

When you carry her, do you carry her along your arm length close to your body ((across the front of you where your belt would be) with her head tucked into your arm pit? An experienced rabbit person taught me that. I learned it after I had two does that shredded me everytime I tried to carry them. I would have streams of blood down my arms. I gave them to her and she didn't have any problem holding them.

Back
Top Bottom