What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Hey im back! Made it to end of month with no extra service a miracle. So I went out and took the photo of Mere and Nymeria sternrose asked for. Will try to post if it doesnt work its in my album. What fo you think? Will she work or do I need maybe another chin? I will wait til we move either way so I can get houses built.

Is there anyone on this thread who can explain the Vienna gene in Holland Lops for me? I'm sure its similar in any breed that posses the gene but I'm looking to find out how you know if a rabbit is a Vienna Carrier or not. I THOUGHT that if a rabbit had the Blue Eyes and markings associated with the gene, then they were "Vienna Marked" and if they lacked the Blue Eyes but had the markings, then they were considered "Vienna Carriers". So here's an example, I bred a Frosty Doe to a VM Blue Tort Buck. None of the kits are showing the markings of a VC and I don't believe they will have blue eyes (they're only a few days old). So lets say they don't have the blue eyes. Are they still a carrier of the gene because the dad was VM?

Is there anyone on this thread who can explain the Vienna gene in Holland Lops for me? I'm sure its similar in any breed that posses the gene but I'm looking to find out how you know if a rabbit is a Vienna Carrier or not. I THOUGHT that if a rabbit had the Blue Eyes and markings associated with the gene, then they were "Vienna Marked" and if they lacked the Blue Eyes but had the markings, then they were considered "Vienna Carriers". So here's an example, I bred a Frosty Doe to a VM Blue Tort Buck. None of the kits are showing the markings of a VC and I don't believe they will have blue eyes (they're only a few days old). So lets say they don't have the blue eyes. Are they still a carrier of the gene because the dad was VM?
Oh, boy, Vienna!
th.gif

Vienna works the same in any breed, but it's a crazy-making gene to be sure!

The classic white rabbit with blue eyes has two copies of the Vienna gene, one that came from the mother, one from the father. That happens almost regardless of what other genes the rabbit has (there are a few exceptions. A rabbit that has both REW genes and Vienna genes will be a REW, for example).

There are only two possible genes at the place where Vienna occurs, Vienna (v) or "not Vienna" (V). A rabbit that has one copy of the Vienna gene and one of the "not Vienna" gene usually will be colored, and have some white on its coat. It may or may not have blue eyes; it may even have one blue, one brown. This is called Vienna Marked (VM), the classic VM has markings that look a lot like the markings of the Dutch rabbits (though the blaze is often wonky). Curiously, Vienna can only put just a snip of white on the nose or even as little as a couple of white claws, which is something Dutch can do, too. occasionally, you can run into rabbits that have no white on them at all, that when bred to a VM or BEW, produce BEW babies. These are the Vienna Carriers - rabbits that have a copy of the Vienna gene, but show no sign of it.

Since the buck is VM, we know that he has one copy of the Vienna gene, and one copy of the "not Vienna" gene (Vv). He has a 50/50 chance of passing the Vienna gene on to his offspring. Some people think this means that half of his offspring will be either VM or VC, but that's not how it works. If you could get 1000 babies from breeding this buck to non-Vienna does, roughly 500 would be either VM or VC, and remaining offspring would have gotten the not-Vienna gene from him. If this buck has only 10 babies in his lifetime, they could all get the Vienna gene from him, or none of them might, and that would be perfectly normal.

The reason this is crazy making, is that when breeding VM's, you can't be sure what's a VC and what is a rabbit with two not-Vienna genes. A colored rabbit with no white and a BEW parent must be a VC, but even two VM parents can produce VC and non-Vienna offspring, and there's no way you can tell them apart just by looking. You might breed what you assume is a non-Vienna rabbit to one that is non-Vienna, and get a bunch of VM babies!
th.gif

Oh, boy, Vienna!
th.gif

Vienna works the same in any breed, but it's a crazy-making gene to be sure!

The classic white rabbit with blue eyes has two copies of the Vienna gene, one that came from the mother, one from the father. That happens almost regardless of what other genes the rabbit has (there are a few exceptions. A rabbit that has both REW genes and Vienna genes will be a REW, for example).

There are only two possible genes at the place where Vienna occurs, Vienna (v) or "not Vienna" (V). A rabbit that has one copy of the Vienna gene and one of the "not Vienna" gene usually will be colored, and have some white on its coat. It may or may not have blue eyes; it may even have one blue, one brown. This is called Vienna Marked (VM), the classic VM has markings that look a lot like the markings of the Dutch rabbits (though the blaze is often wonky). Curiously, Vienna can only put just a snip of white on the nose or even as little as a couple of white claws, which is something Dutch can do, too. occasionally, you can run into rabbits that have no white on them at all, that when bred to a VM or BEW, produce BEW babies. These are the Vienna Carriers - rabbits that have a copy of the Vienna gene, but show no sign of it.

Since the buck is VM, we know that he has one copy of the Vienna gene, and one copy of the "not Vienna" gene (Vv). He has a 50/50 chance of passing the Vienna gene on to his offspring. Some people think this means that half of his offspring will be either VM or VC, but that's not how it works. If you could get 1000 babies from breeding this buck to non-Vienna does, roughly 500 would be either VM or VC, and remaining offspring would have gotten the not-Vienna gene from him. If this buck has only 10 babies in his lifetime, they could all get the Vienna gene from him, or none of them might, and that would be perfectly normal.

The reason this is crazy making, is that when breeding VM's, you can't be sure what's a VC and what is a rabbit with two not-Vienna genes. A colored rabbit with no white and a BEW parent must be a VC, but even two VM parents can produce VC and non-Vienna offspring, and there's no way you can tell them apart just by looking. You might breed what you assume is a non-Vienna rabbit to one that is non-Vienna, and get a bunch of VM babies!
th.gif

Ok, I think I got it now. Thanks for the explanation!

Looks like a grey...rather like my two greys were looking a few days ago. Here they are now:

And here is how their sister turned out from a previous litter:

Last edited:
What color is he? I know its hard to tell he's only 3 days old y'all think opal?

What breed are these? Pictures are little hard to tell but what color were the parents? Looks like it could be opal but could also be a couple of other colors as well
wink.png
...I'd wait it out a few more days. I have a litter of 3 that to me look like sable points but they just seem a tad too dark to me. I'll be waiting a little bit longer.

What breed are these? Pictures are little hard to tell but what color were the parents? Looks like it could be opal but could also be a couple of other colors as well
wink.png
...I'd wait it out a few more days. I have a litter of 3 that to me look like sable points but they just seem a tad too dark to me. I'll be waiting a little bit longer.

Jersey wooly mom is a chin and the dad is a broken black

Back
Top Bottom