What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Quote: Two DM Lionheads should only give you DM Lionhead babies, since both parents only have mane genes to give to their offspring.

As to the Vienna Marked (VM) question - I am going to assume that one of the parents was a BEW, or that there is other evidence that the white on this animal is the result of the Vienna gene, and not Dutch. (Dutch genes can create patterns that look like Vienna marking, but breeding two animals with Dutch markings together won't ever result in a BEW)

A VM rabbit has one copy of the Vienna gene, and one of non-Vienna. If you breed a VM to a non-Vienna, the possible results are non-Vienna, Vienna Marked, and Vienna Carrier (VC). VC's are animals that have neither white markings nor blue eyes, yet carry the Vienna gene. VC's are unusual to rare in occurence; the only way you know it's a VC is if it had a BEW parent or throws BEW babies. Breeding a VM to a VM or a VC can get you BEW babies.

Assuming that you are breeding your VM to a non-Vienna, you should get some VM babies, since there is a 50/50 chance of the VM passing the Vienna gene to any particular baby. However, nothing I have seen has ever said that the occurrence of blue eyes on the VM's is anything but random. In other words, you simply can't predict whether a VM baby will have two blue eyes, two brown eyes, or one of each.

Last edited:
Quote:

The colors are irrelevant. The only relevant question is whether these particular animals carry the Vienna gene. The number of BEW babies is also irrelevant, as getting just one from a cross means both parents carry the Vienna gene. And just because you didn't get any BEW babies from a particular cross doesn't rule out the possibility that both parents carry the gene, since a sample group as small as the production of one pair may not be large enough to be statistically significant.

The colors are irrelevant. The only relevant question is whether these particular animals carry the Vienna gene. The number of BEW babies is also irrelevant, as getting just one from a cross means both parents carry the Vienna gene. And just because you didn't get any BEW babies from a particular cross doesn't rule out the possibility that both parents carry the gene, since a sample group as small as the production of one pair may not be large enough to be statistically significant. 

What I was getting at was that she needs to ask wether they have gotten blue eyes more then just a few because that would give a better view of what her chance of getting blue eyes is. But you can give her better tips on what to ask then I can but I was saying what id ask the breeder.

What stinks is I only have the ped for the Dam's side on this rabbit. There are no BEWs or VMs/VCs in her Dam's background. Her Sire was a VM Orange and that's all I know. So I'm thinking the chances of getting any VM'ed babies from this VM Fox/Smutty Orange doe and my Frosted Pearl (I believe that's what you told me he was when I posted pics a while back) buck are pretty slim to none. I bred a Blue-Eyed VM Holland buck to my Frosty Holland doe a while back and the babies were neither blue eyed nor VM'ed but I assumed they were VCs because of the Sire?

A VM rabbit has one copy of the Vienna gene, and one copy of the non-Vienna gene. It doesn't matter if it had a BEW parent, or if both parents were VM or VC, it has one copy of each gene. It can pass on only one gene to any particular baby, and it has an equal chance with either gene. So there is a 50% chance each way - you could breed a VM to a non-Vienna, and in a litter of, say, 5 babies, all could be VM, or none of them, or 1 VM and 4 non-Vienna, or 3 VM, one non-Vienna, and 1 VC; any possible combination of the three would be perfectly within reason in a sample size that small.

Any baby that comes from this doe and the Frosted Pearl buck has a 50% chance of inheriting the Vienna gene from its mother.

Unless you know that the buck has Vienna in his background, it's a pretty safe bet that he isn't a VC (they are pretty unusual, remember). So, though VM babies are very likely, it shouldn't be possible to get a BEW from them. If a BEW does turn up, that means that, against all expectations, the buck is a VC.

As to whether any of the VM babies that come from this breeding will have blue eyes? No telling.
idunno.gif

Yesterday I put my new zealand white buck in my chicken pen and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. He started hoppin around and rubbing his scent on the logs and everything else than peed,dug a little bit,and checked out the coop,and ate some food,and he loves to lay under the chicken ladder leading into the coop. I wish all my rabbits could live in there with out bucks fighting and breeding. I love the colony rabbit raising idea and would love to get a pen just for the rabbits in the future!!! Rabbits don;t get anything in a cage,you wouldn't put a dog or cat or yourself in a small cage with wire floor there whole life so why do it to a rabbit. There natural life is to dig,hop,run,eat grass,lay in the dirt etc. Rabbits are no different from dogs,cats, or anything it's just an easy way to keep them in and clean. Please think about colony raising!!

Back
Top Bottom