What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
thank you both for the tips. i did move them closer to my roosters and they crow a bit; then my dh had a power washer going for a day-all day. their new cages have nesting boxes that are dark and double decker, he stays on the top bunk. today he had his ears back at me when i opened the nest box door, so i used a stick to pet and rub him, then i gave him 1 raisin, he didnt eat it. i used a stick cuz he looked different at me today, more agressive, may have been my imagination, but i wasnt taking any chances. i will weigh him tonight to make sure of his weight.
i change their water bottles out ea morning and night if they drink more than 1/2 the bottle, his was full this morning. and i moved his hay and leaves just to see if he moves them. i dont see much poo or pee either? i hope he is not impacted. i will have my dh help me hold him while i palpate his stomach, not sure what to feel for, except for hardness, but i need to learn where his bowls are.
i will keep an eye on him.
thanks for your help

thank you both for the tips. i did move them closer to my roosters and they crow a bit; then my dh had a power washer going for a day-all day. their new cages have nesting boxes that are dark and double decker, he stays on the top bunk. today he had his ears back at me when i opened the nest box door, so i used a stick to pet and rub him, then i gave him 1 raisin, he didnt eat it. i used a stick cuz he looked different at me today, more agressive, may have been my imagination, but i wasnt taking any chances. i will weigh him tonight to make sure of his weight.
i change their water bottles out ea morning and night if they drink more than 1/2 the bottle, his was full this morning. and i moved his hay and leaves just to see if he moves them. i dont see much poo or pee either? i hope he is not impacted. i will have my dh help me hold him while i palpate his stomach, not sure what to feel for, except for hardness, but i need to learn where his bowls are.
i will keep an eye on him.
thanks for your help
Clean out the manure spot and see if there is manure produced. Also, for taming, most rabbits love being scratched (gently) on the forehead with one finger.

i weighed my buck that has not been eating much and he has lost 15 oz since Aug 4th to Aug 19.
that seems like alot to me. after we put him back in his cage then he ate a few bites of apple leaves.
i palpated his body and didnt feel anything abnormally large or any hard lumps. my dh said his bowls are towards his back so i felt there and didnt feel any impactions, i did my best, i am not a vet. i cked his teeth and they were nice, the tops were a little serated and his bottoms were not. they looked like he had a little overbite. is this normal? his nose was clear and clean and his eyes are clear.
maybe it is the heat, and the move, our temps have been in the low 90's all week.
i will keep checking on him. thanks for any suggestions

That is a lot of weight. A few ounces can be dismissed as just empty bowels but that's too much. Those teeth sound normal. You could try giving him somewhere quieter, also a frozen water bottle in his cage to lay against would be good. Do you have a stethescope? If you do you can listen for impaction because the normal rumbling of their stomach will not be present. Are you feeding the same types of food the previous owners were? What was he eating before you got him? Any worms in the fecal matter? (Learn the difference between maggots and fecal worms.) I would mix some molasses (just maybe a teaspoon for a standard 32oz water bottle), salt (about 1/4 teaspoon for 32oz of water) into his water and maybe some probiotics if you've got some. Molasses and salt is the poor man's electrolytes because it's salt, sugar, potassium and minerals. Cut out the "strange" foods like raisins and vegetables. Make sure he has fresh, quality hay. Check his ears and feet for any irritation as well.

Last edited:
the previous owners gave us 2 bags of feed, both a little different and old looking. he had plum tree branches and green plum fruit in the cage and plum seeds (meaning he ate the green plums). i did feed him a variety of leaves, grass & vegies, since i have had him, Aug 2nd. he ate well/good up until the move to the new cage.
i will try the molasses, salt & probiotics (plain yogurt).
im afraid i gave him too much variety??

It's possible. I would not use yogurt. They might have trouble digesting that and you don't want to be adding more strange things to his diet right now. Keep it simple. Stick to hay and pellets.

the previous owners gave us 2 bags of feed, both a little different and old looking. he had plum tree branches and green plum fruit in the cage and plum seeds (meaning he ate the green plums). i did feed him a variety of leaves, grass & vegies, since i have had him, Aug 2nd. he ate well/good up until the move to the new cage.
i will try the molasses, salt & probiotics (plain yogurt).
im afraid i gave him too much variety??
Be careful with the raisins, I've had rabbits get temporary diarrhea from them and this was on a fluffy rollback furred Holland Lop. Not fun. You could be giving them too much variety and I would suggest completely omitting everything except water pellets and hay from his diet.

GM, thank you both for your input and advice. i am doing what you both have said; hay, pellets & water. he did eat, poop and pee last night and he ate his hay and leaves that were in his cage. it seems since we handled him yesterday evening he perked up, maybe just cuz we interacted w/him? maybe he was just scared and confused? He seems fine today. i did put the molasses & salt in his water this morning. i did not give him yogurt.
thank you again, i will keep you posted on his condition.

GM, thank you both for your input and advice. i am doing what you both have said; hay, pellets & water. he did eat, poop and pee last night and he ate his hay and leaves that were in his cage. it seems since we handled him yesterday evening he perked up, maybe just cuz we interacted w/him? maybe he was just scared and confused? He seems fine today. i did put the molasses & salt in his water this morning. i did not give him yogurt.
thank you again, i will keep you posted on his condition.

he is eating a tiny bit. i have not added anymore hay and i took his pellets out last night. he did poop & pee again and drank about 1-2 oz of molasses water. i am keeping it simple w/him. he seems to be alert and ok. i have him some pieces of brown paperbag but he just pushed them out of where he lays; i thought maybe he would want to make a nest? are does the only ones that make a nest?
thanks

Does are the only ones that nest, and in the wild they do most of the the burrowing as well. Bucks spend most of their days above ground and take shelter in dens built by other animals or their own colony of rabbits (as wild rabbits live communally). He shouldn't have a strong need to burrow, but if he has a box or other sheltered space to hide in that might help him to feel safe. Is he eating the hay? Have you weighed him again since? Try to keep your feeding, watering and weighing on a strict schedule so you can gauge his weight accurately.

Back
Top Bottom