What to feed a sick hen?

Frankiegirl

Crowing
May 3, 2020
SW Michigan
Hi all -

I have a 3yo hen that appears ill and is not eating. Has lost weight and is also dehydrated.

I’m giving her hydro hen for electrolytes and egg. She has no strength and doesn’t appear to have an appetite.

She is the only sick bird in my flock so I’m not concerned about any flock issues.

Any thoughts on how possibly help her eat and or make her comfortable. Thanks

Has she laid eggs recently? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Can you check early in the morning to see if it is emptying overnight? What do her droppings look like? Is her tail position down or up? Pictures of her and droppings are welcome. Poultry NutriDrench can be good as a boost since you can give her 2 ml orally slowly. I would hold a small bowl of water up to her beak, and offer both watery chicken crumbles and some cooked egg. Sometimes cancer, reproductive infection, or crop problems can happen when they are over 2-3 years old.

image.jpg

Crop is empty and flat. Tail is somewhat up and she hasn’t laid since last august.
I will try the chicken crumbles along with the egg. Thank you for your response.
image.jpg

I am feeling her crop today and it is hard. She is not doing well and wondering if it could be impacted crop. Thoughts and possible solutions

She has been drinking water from a dropper. No food. I got her to eat some coconut oil and her droppings are runny and green.

She is very lethargic breathing heavy.

If it is impacted crop you will feel a bunch of stuff in there, almost like if you put feed into a balloon, but it sounds like she hasn't eaten in a while.

It feels kind of like a bean bag. She really hasn’t eaten and is very underweight.

I just don’t know how I missed it. Just wasn’t paying close enough attention

Back
Top Bottom