What will happen if quail chicks eat medicated feed?

Quote:
#1 THE AMPROLIUM FEEDS ARE NOT APPROVED FOR USE IN QUAIL BY THE FDA--- THESE ARE THE BAGS WITH TAGS MARKED "FOR PHEASANT ONLY" VERY LIKELY THE MOST COMMON MEDICATED FEED UP THERE IN NY AS IT IS CONSIDERED "THE PHEASANT BELT" BY LARGE FEED COMPANIES. FROM NY WEST THRU THE GREAT PLAINS SEEMS TO BE THE AREAS MOST FEED COMPANIES MARKET WITH THIS RECIPE AS THATS WHERE MOST LARGE SCALE PHEASANT HATCHERIES ARE LOCATED. IN FACT MANY IN THIS AREA CAN ONLY GET MEDICATED STARTER FEEDS AND THEY WILL BE THIS FORMULA OF MEDICATION. (PURINA/ NUTRENA LOOK FOR THE TAGS SEWN INTO THE BOTTOM STRIP OF THE BAG-- CLEARLY MARKED USUALLY AT THE TOP CENTER OF THE TAG, PURINA IT WILL BE IN BOLD RED PRINT)

#2 YES TOO MUCH PROTIEN FROM SOY WILL CAUSE KIDNEY DAMAGE,(IN MOST ANY ANIMAL...) BUT IT IS THE BASIS OF PROTIEN IN EVERY GAMEBIRD FEED FORMULA. FISHMEAL CONTAINS TOO MUCH FAT AND CAUSES LIVER FAILURE(FATTY LIVER DISEASE) AS THE BIRD'S BODIES ARE NOT DESIGNED TO PROCESS THIS IN NATURE.

#3 IS BACKWARDS ACCORDING TO MOST STATE UNIVERSITY PUBLICATIONS FROM A&M UNIVERSITY EXTENSION PROGRAMS SUCH AS TEXAS A&M OR MISSIPPI STATE.

Stellar, suggested that no one should feed their quail medicated starter. Yet, on her web site she states " We are Purina fans, therefore all our feed is purina based,". So I'm wondering here which is correct? Does she not use the Purina Game Bird Startena?

As for Purina feed, I just went and pulled a tag from the two bags I purchased last week, which are Purina Game Bird Startena BMD 50 Medicated. This feed contains Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate... 50.00 g/ton.

Crude protein is 30% for this Purina product. Now I have read where folks raise their birds entirely on this feed, from hatch to table. As for my breeding stock, new eggs are set at 9 months. And out of this hatch, the best males are selected for breeding which put them ready at about the 12 month mark. At which time the old cocks are culled. Now, is a year enough time to make a marked difference in fertility in the males if one feeds strictly Purina Game Bird Startena BMD 50 Medicated? I've read where after a year the fertility of the males starts to drop markedly anyway.

Someone had mentioned that Purina feed was a regional thing. I have a hard time believing that such a large company would under take such logistics to run two different lines of the exact feed with the exception of one being medicated and the other non-medicated. And then to logistically dedicate each type to specific regions of the country. That doesn't make sense to me.

There is no scientific evidence that medicated starter causes any problems. If you dont have known cocci issues in your area i wouldnt even worry about it.

There was a study i read once and havent seen since that suggested males fed medicated feed for extended periods can cause them infertility. The study however did not prove that theory conclusively so ive never put any stock in it.

As for getting answers as to what alexandra does and doesnt feed, good luck. She is not an active member and hasnt posted since long before she wrote her $75 book.

Regarding old threads, new folks like myself, take enjoyment in reading all the threads, and just not limiting myself to the most recent and active. Had I waited for this exact topic to appear again in the list of current active topics, I might be waiting forever.

Besides, there may be new information available that wasn't known at the time of the thread post. Look at it as a "cold case file". Sorry my questions on such an old thread irritated you.

dc, thanks for your "current" update....I see where she's headed.

Regards all.

Old topics are great to research to get good information & sometimes bad. The great ones often become stickies. No need to revive them under most circumstances. Most of the original posters are far gone so they won't be able to give you reason for there comments. I was here when these fine & knowledgeable people were here. Actually that is usually how I catch they old threads is to see one of there post. I don't look at dates. If I see a topic I think I might have some knowledge about I'll read it to try & help. I usually fallow it until the problem is fixed then move on while other take about it a while. So if you have new information or question you are best to start a new topic since most people aren't going to read through 200 pages to get to your post.

I try to check pretty often to be able to give quick answers when I can but I don't have time to reread all the old threads or the data to use to load all the pages.

Just my prospective on it do take it as you will. No need for sorry. I was never offended.

I don't think anyone was offended by you bringing up a "zombie" thread. However kingmt is correct in that many people do not read through older threads. They have been all but talked out. I have found that you will get a better response to your questions if you start a new thread or at least post on one that has had some long term posting on it. Another thing about these old threads is that many of the people that talked on them years ago have long since "flown the coop" so to speak.

But as for using medicated feed....it has Amprolium in it. Helps to prevent Coccidiosis only. It isn't going to cause trouble if used for the first 6 weeks of a chicks life. I wouldn't however continue to use it any longer than 6 weeks.

Two Crows, I don't know if Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate and Amprolium are one and the same.

kingmt, great! Thanks, and I was hoping that most folks on here were not thin skinned!

Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate is used in gamebird feeds to prevent enteritis, mud fever and Blue Comb in Turkeys. I wouldn't use a feed with this in it if you didn't have to. Allowing birds to become immune to their environment naturally is always the best way to go.

I prefer not to feed feeds with amprolium in it either, however just the amprolium itself, I personally don't think, is harmful to them if used for the first 6 weeks. Over long periods of time however, any medicated feed is going to cause liver damage.

TwoCrows, what is your definition of "long period of time"? I may have been mislead in my reading research, but isn't 6-8 weeks time to start filling the freezer?

Back
Top Bottom