What will happen if quail chicks eat medicated feed?

Quote:
I'M SORRY YOU DONT HAVE ANY DECENT FEED AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA... THAT REALLY SUCKS. ITS SO MUCH EASIER TO JUST TEAR OPEN A BAG AND USE IT.... DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE PROTIEN SOURCE IS FROM IN YOUR CATFISH PELLETS?

GLAD TO HEAR THE BUTLERS DID WELL FOR YOU, BUT THEY BETTER NOT GROW UP WITH SCALES AND BARBELS....
smile.png

Quote:
Wow!! Sorry Quaillady, but I'm gonna have to beg to differ. I just candled 120 Bobwhite eggs (which is one of many settings I've gone through this summer from my stock), and only 6 out of 120 glowed (infertile). These (adult stock) birds are getting Nutrena Gamebird Turkey and Quail Starter, which is a medicated 30% protien feed. The other 114 look right on cue. I can't complain about the hatch ratio of all the other settings before these, either. Just sayin'.............

Last edited:
Quote:
I'M SORRY YOU DONT HAVE ANY DECENT FEED AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA... THAT REALLY SUCKS. ITS SO MUCH EASIER TO JUST TEAR OPEN A BAG AND USE IT.... DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE PROTIEN SOURCE IS FROM IN YOUR CATFISH PELLETS?

GLAD TO HEAR THE BUTLERS DID WELL FOR YOU, BUT THEY BETTER NOT GROW UP WITH SCALES AND BARBELS....
smile.png

Fish oil is primary source of protein...

Quote:

smile.png

CAN YOU GET SOYBEAN MEAL? ITS USUALLY 48-50% PROTIEN AND OFFERS A BETTER SUPPLY OF B VITAMINS SHOULD BE EASIER FOR THEM TO PROCESS. USE LESS--- SAY 2/3'S CHICK STARTER AND 1/3 SOYBEAN MEAL... CANT GET REGULAR TURKEY STARTER WITHOUT MEDICATION?

Quote:

CAN YOU GET SOYBEAN MEAL? ITS USUALLY 48-50% PROTIEN AND OFFERS A BETTER SUPPLY OF B VITAMINS SHOULD BE EASIER FOR THEM TO PROCESS. USE LESS--- SAY 2/3'S CHICK STARTER AND 1/3 SOYBEAN MEAL... CANT GET REGULAR TURKEY STARTER WITHOUT MEDICATION?

Where would you get soybean meal?? The feed store??

Yes Your Feed Store Would/ Should Have It.... But Then Again They Should Have Gamebird Starter Too....

Also Did You Look At Purina's Web Site? They Have A Built In Dealer Locator That May Help You Find Someone Who Does Carry Gamebird Starter.

Because I feed my quail the same feed and I breed Button quail, the smallest quail in the world, I don't feed my birds medicated feed. The main thing is that for Button Quail it renders the males temporarily infertile if used when they are developing their male parts, and /or when they are breeding. With the other types of birds it weakens their immune system if fed on a regular basis. I think (for example) the studies say that it can be used on most poultry (not fowl) until they are 2 weeks old One Russian Study said that it slowed development of internal organs such as pituitary etc. There have been a lot of studies.. I need to look in my piles of papers.

This is my reason for staying away from medicated feed. Like JJ said, it's a regional thing. Some areas don't offer feed that other regions have. Also as he suggested, READ THE LABELS
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah... I'm gonna look into it my friend! As always... thanks for the info!

at the feed store here, if I need something they dont have in store, they will order it for me for no additional fee. you might just want to ask them.

I can think of three points: #1 The medication in most medicated feed is Amprolium[ a coccidiostat] It remains in the intestinal tract and is not assimilated in the body. That is the reason there is no withdrawal time for meat birds. #2 Soy in large amounts decreases fertility in poultry. Fishmeal is a better choice to raise the protein level. #3 Coturnix and Button Quail do well on chick starter protein levels. I've raised many on broiler ration. It's the game breeds [Bobwhites, Gambels, Valleys,etc.] that need the 28-30% starter rations. Tom

Back
Top Bottom