What would be your choice for best overall layer breed...longevity, hardiness, egg size, winter layi

Okay. But in order to build consistency in a breeding program, it is perfected to the satisfaction of the breeder or whatever is put on paper, by using each successive offspring desired to breed from. Is it really breeding true that remains established forever?

By definition, you do not have a breed unless it breeds true most of the time.

Well, certainly more information needs to be obtained on this breed. The origin may have begun with the Barred Rock Rooster and the White Leghorn hen, but there's much more to it. I know I'm fond of this flock and the egg production just beginning. The thing about flighty breeds is that I never recommend them for beginners. You have to move more cautiously around them and covered runs are necessary.

I never thought about breeding much and saw various hybrids given names as if they are a breed. That's what I guessed the CA Gray was: a hybrid given a name for specifics. And that was why the APA refused to recognize them.

Last edited:
Went to the thread. Very interesting, they have cool coloring. I have always adored the coloring of the Barred Plymouth Rock and I think its cool the colors are blurred into greys! I also saw your pics on there!

OK, after everyone's input and opinions, I'm curious what you chose, or are you like me? Unable to make a decision and get 5 of each breed I like?
big_smile.png
Thank you all for replying...and for discussions about some unique breeds...Coronation Sussex (which are gorgeous...never heard nor seen them in my area)...and the California Greys.

In response to sifg, after reading all the opinions, and factoring in breeds I've already owned or currenlty own...

I am most interested in attempting to get some Barnvelders, Buckeyes, and Sussexes next.

I want some dark eggs, would like to get some mousing help from the hens instead of just me doing all the work with my traps (having a hen or two chasing them would bring a smile to my face), I also find Sussex very appealing.

I have several friends who don't like their Australorps, but after hearing such good opinion of them here, I may try some of those at some point as well.

If you look at my byline, I obviously do like variety in my egg layers...however chicken math has factored in and put me to my property limit (with, uhemmm, 20 birds now on 1/3 acre), so I'm attempting to manipulate my flock into a core of "best fit" breed(s) for egg laying longevity/health and then have a few "fun" breeds.

My latest acquisition was 2 EE's to add some color to my egg basket (hopefully...they are only 3 weeks old).

I like to hatch and brood with broody hens, so my timetable fits around my ladies' hormones.

The next factor will be if I can find hatching eggs or day old chicks of my desired breeds. I will place them next spring when one of my faithful ladies goes into a good brood.

Keeping my fingers crossed
fl.gif

Thank you again for all your information.
Lady of McCamley
(Who is always looking for a good hen)

Last edited:
Thank you all for replying...and for discussions about some unique breeds...Coronation Sussex (which are gorgeous...never heard nor seen them in my area)...and the California Greys.

In response to sifg, after reading all the opinions, and factoring in breeds I've already owned or currenlty own...

I am most interested in attempting to get some Barnvelders, Buckeyes, and Sussexes next.

I want some dark eggs, would like to get some mousing help from the hens instead of just me doing all the work with my traps (having a hen or two chasing them would bring a smile to my face), I also find Sussex very appealing.

I have several friends who don't like their Australorps, but after hearing such good opinion of them here, I may try some of those at some point as well.

If you look at my byline, I obviously do like variety in my egg layers...however chicken math has factored in and put me to my property limit (with, uhemmm, 20 birds now on 1/3 acre), so I'm attempting to manipulate my flock into a core of "best fit" breed(s) for egg laying longevity/health and then have a few "fun" breeds.

My latest acquisition was 2 EE's to add some color to my egg basket (hopefully...they are only 3 weeks old).

I like to hatch and brood with broody hens, so my timetable fits around my ladies' hormones.

The next factor will be if I can find hatching eggs or day old chicks of my desired breeds. I will place them next spring when one of my faithful ladies goes into a good brood.

Keeping my fingers crossed
fl.gif

Thank you again for all your information.
Lady of McCamley
(Who is always looking for a good hen)

Yes the Sussex are beautiful. I think the Buckeyes will be great for meat-or so I have read anyways. Sounds great-hope they take care of your mice for you!!!!

People often make judgments based on one experience, which is probably not good. That is why this website is so helpful. You can read about thousands of experiences.

If I bought say an Australorp and it wasn't like what I expected, and then I said Australorps were not a good breed, that wouldn't be a good way to go about it.

You can get one or several of a breed that do not match the general breed description. That doesn't change the general description of a breed.

If I bought a German Shorthaired Pointer and it turned out to be a lousy hunting dog, would I say all GSPs were not fit to be hunting dogs? No.

Just food for thought.

People often make judgments based on one experience, which is probably not good. That is why this website is so helpful. You can read about thousands of experiences.

If I bought say an Australorp and it wasn't like what I expected, and then I said Australorps were not a good breed, that wouldn't be a good way to go about it.

You can get one or several of a breed that do not match the general breed description. That doesn't change the general description of a breed.

If I bought a German Shorthaired Pointer and it turned out to be a lousy hunting dog, would I say all GSPs were not fit to be hunting dogs? No.

Just food for thought.

Good point Bullit! I have a few Orps that run from me but that doesn't mean they are a flighty breed. Overall they are good. Yes I agree that BYC is a great way to read thousands of opinions and experiences. I think for the most part the descriptions of the breeds found in articles and books are pretty accurate, but each bird is unique-just as each owner is unique!

Back
Top Bottom