What would be your choice for best overall layer breed...longevity, hardiness, egg size, winter layi

Okay...not to start "breed wars" here as everyone has their favorites...But I am curious. I'm thinking about adding more heritage breeds to my flock. Why? Because I would like to get my flock to where I've got the best all around consistent layers of large eggs that lay productively for the longest and have general hardiness. I know the commercial market has been chasing that rainbow and has come up with the commercial breeds :EDITED: yes I know I should have said hybrids: (Gold Stars, Black Stars, White Leghorns, Production Reds, etc.)....but those tend to lay really, really well for 2 years and then abruptly curtail...and they aren't really breeding for strength and health...just productivity for 2 years as the commercial growers cull them at that point. I'd like to look more long term. Less turn over, better birds. What breed would be not so crazy prolific perhaps, but overall lay well and longer and be hardy? Your thoughts? Thanks Lady of McCamley
My #1 vote would be the Black Australorp.

Thank you all for replying...and for discussions about some unique breeds...Coronation Sussex (which are gorgeous...never heard nor seen them in my area)...and the California Greys.

In response to sifg, after reading all the opinions, and factoring in breeds I've already owned or currenlty own...

I am most interested in attempting to get some Barnvelders, Buckeyes, and Sussexes next.

I want some dark eggs, would like to get some mousing help from the hens instead of just me doing all the work with my traps (having a hen or two chasing them would bring a smile to my face), I also find Sussex very appealing.

Thank you again for all your information.
Lady of McCamley
(Who is always looking for a good hen)
You're welcome, and certainly didn't mean to get off subject. Some prefer heavier, more docile breeds for ease of handling. I think it is best for newer folks who may not have covered yards.

I wouldn't encourage chickens to control rodent populations unless you don't mind doctoring sick chickens. Cholera, E. Coli, and intestinal worms are but a few nasty problems which rodents perpetuate, and can plague your flock. Birds find lizards, bugs, and mice on range at times, and that is nature, but I wouldn't encourage it. Bait blocks in locking box traps work wonders in controlling rat populations around the barn, Rampage bait blocks made by Motomco are a safer bait. Poison pellets can be spread around, while bait blocks stay in the trap, so mice and rats must enter the trap to feed. Even a few good barn cats take care of business. Picking up all feed and containers at the end of the day also prevents rodents.

You're welcome, and certainly didn't mean to get off subject. Some prefer heavier, more docile breeds for ease of handling. I think it is best for newer folks who may not have covered yards.

I wouldn't encourage chickens to control rodent populations unless you don't mind doctoring sick chickens. Cholera, E. Coli, and intestinal worms are but a few nasty problems which rodents perpetuate, and can plague your flock. Birds find lizards, bugs, and mice on range at times, and that is nature, but I wouldn't encourage it. Bait blocks in locking box traps work wonders in controlling rat populations around the barn, Rampage bait blocks made by Motomco are a safer bait. Poison pellets can be spread around, while bait blocks stay in the trap, so mice and rats must enter the trap to feed.  Even a few good barn cats take care of business. Picking up all feed and containers at the end of the day also prevents rodents.

Chickens are carnivores so you have to be very careful what poison you use to kill mice because a chicken may eat the mouse that ate the poison.

Chickens are carnivores so you have to be very careful what poison you use to kill mice because a chicken may eat the mouse that ate the poison.

Do the mice get trapped in the "bait blocks in locking box traps" that were mentioned? That would prevent chickens from eating the mice.

Last edited:
Chickens are omnivores, not carnivores. That is why their health can be sustained with little animal proteins. In all the years I've used Tomcat box traps with block poison, I've never had a chicken become unhealthy or die as a result. It is the keeper's responsibility to inspect traps regularly and remove dead rodents. One thing chicken keeping doesn't entail is laziness. I also keep things organized and tidy in my barn in order to prevent rodent nests. The main point I made was that getting chickens to control mouse populations leads to high mortality in the flock. That would defeat the purpose of keeping chickens entirely.

Thank you all for replying...and for discussions about some unique breeds...Coronation Sussex (which are gorgeous...never heard nor seen them in my area)...and the California Greys.

In response to sifg, after reading all the opinions, and factoring in breeds I've already owned or currenlty own...

I am most interested in attempting to get some Barnvelders, Buckeyes, and Sussexes next.

I want some dark eggs, would like to get some mousing help from the hens instead of just me doing all the work with my traps (having a hen or two chasing them would bring a smile to my face), I also find Sussex very appealing.

I have several friends who don't like their Australorps, but after hearing such good opinion of them here, I may try some of those at some point as well.

If you look at my byline, I obviously do like variety in my egg layers...however chicken math has factored in and put me to my property limit (with, uhemmm, 20 birds now on 1/3 acre), so I'm attempting to manipulate my flock into a core of "best fit" breed(s) for egg laying longevity/health and then have a few "fun" breeds.

My latest acquisition was 2 EE's to add some color to my egg basket (hopefully...they are only 3 weeks old).

I like to hatch and brood with broody hens, so my timetable fits around my ladies' hormones.

The next factor will be if I can find hatching eggs or day old chicks of my desired breeds. I will place them next spring when one of my faithful ladies goes into a good brood.

Keeping my fingers crossed :fl

Thank you again for all your information.
Lady of McCamley
(Who is always looking for a good hen)

I do love my Australorps. Mine started laying at 19 weeks. They are 26 weeks now and one has been broody for about 3 weeks and is now sitting on some eggs. They are my most dependable layers out of them, Columbian Rocks and Speckled Sussex. They are not huge but big enough. They are quiet and docile and very hardy. The hardy part is boosted because I feed fermented feed. I really wouldn't want to be without the Aussies! Oh, and the Aussie rooster is really great! He is gentle with the pullets, finds food and gives it to them, breaks up all fights, and protects them. He really acts like he always has the pullets best interest in mind. None of them are "pets" but they are all docile, rooster included.

I do have some 14 week old Buckeyes and I am anxious to see how they do. Like you, I got them hoping they will deal with the mice (which I don't have and don't want) AND I hope they will deal with the snakes too should they decide to come looking for eggs or whatever. I've got some Delawares that are looking pretty promising too. One thing I plan to do is cross my Australorps with an Ancona and see how that offspring performs. I think they will be smaller, eat a little less, lay excellent and maybe be a little more flighty which I want because of predators. That project in planned for early spring.

Chickens are omnivores, not carnivores. That is why their health can be sustained with little animal proteins. In all the years I've used Tomcat box traps with block poison, I've never had a chicken become unhealthy or die as a result. It is the keeper's responsibility to inspect traps regularly and remove dead rodents. One thing chicken keeping doesn't entail is laziness. I also keep things organized and tidy in my barn in order to prevent rodent nests. The main point I made was that getting chickens to control mouse populations leads to high mortality in the flock. That would defeat the purpose of keeping chickens entirely.

You are right, they are omnivores but it is best that animal protein is a part of their diet because they are not vegetarians by choice. They could survive without it just like you could survive on veggies, but would you want to? They are better off if fed a diet close to what they would get in nature, and that includes animal protein.

I don't know who has time to sit around and make sure a mouse doesn't die in the coop/run. And if they happen to free range their birds it is not possible at all to be sure one hasn't died where a bird can get to it. LOL

Do the mice get trapped in the "bait blocks in locking box traps" that were mentioned? That would prevent chickens from eating the mice.

The bait boxes I have used around the house just hold a square piece of soild bait that the mouse has to go into to eat. That way they can't take the bait and leave it where another animal can eat it and get sick or die. But the mouse goes somewhere else and dies.

You are right, they are omnivores but it is best that animal protein is a part of their diet because they are not vegetarians by choice. They could survive without it just like you could survive on veggies, but would you want to? They are better off if fed a diet close to what they would get in nature, and that includes animal protein.

I don't know who has time to sit around and make sure a mouse doesn't die in the coop/run. And if they happen to free range their birds it is not possible at all to be sure one hasn't died where a bird can get to it. LOL
Which is why mine receive buttermilk, fish, etc. Animal proteins are superior to vegetable proteins which is common knowledge. My point being that all feed rations are composed of vegetable or legume protein can keep for a time without spoiling, and can sustain the health of birds. I never said animal proteins should be disregarded. I responded to a post about chickens being used as mousers by someone other than you. If you don't notice the environment of your coop/run on a daily basis, you aren't paying attention. One doesn't have to "sit around" to notice things. Responsible use of poison bait to control rodents is a common practice on ranches and farms. It has been for many years without compromising poultry. Now if you wish to argue with common sense, find someone who has more patience.

Back
Top Bottom