What would you do? Chicken dilemma ):

I would go with option 1. Since you clearly want to keep your chickens (and good for you for wanting to do what's right for them) and they don't NEED to free range, there's really no reason not to keep them confined in a run, and 10x10 is certainly adequate for 7 birds, especially if you throw in some "fun" things for them to do, like a swing or branches to perch on and browse to pick through.

I don't feel bad at all about keeping my flock contained in a run and the few times they've gotten out, they've stayed by the run fence and waited to put them back in. Like your BF I don't want poop everywhere, and your neighbor is being reasonable in their request, so no reason not to comply.

Good news, everyone! I am keeping all 7 of my girls (and have plenty of room for more in the future)! We got a great deal on a coop and run and will simply expand our current run to total 10x16. I attached some pictures of the before and after of the coop we bought. New roof, coat of paint and some additonal wood for structural soundness. Thanks for the inspiration to not give up on my girls!
1f60a.png

Last edited:
That box needs some serious ventilation....like a few big windows cut into the sides. Light and air will go a long way towards keeping the birds healthier in their confinement. I would have went with option 2....no 7 chickens are worth nearly $800. You could have made a deal with the farmer about getting some eggs each week and the birds would have lived a freer existence.

That box needs some serious ventilation....like a few big windows cut into the sides. Light and air will go a long way towards keeping the birds healthier in their confinement. I would have went with option 2....no 7 chickens are worth nearly $800.

I'd have to disagree... I think it's up to each person to decide what's reasonable for their flock. I've already spent over $2k in fencing for just 4 chickens so $800 seems like a deal to me!

I do think some ventilation in the coop will go a long way. It looks nicely fixed up but if you replace some of the boards with welded wire or hardware cloth it'll be a healthier environment for the birds.

Negativity not necessary! Like I said, the money is not the issue. I just mentioned it in my orginal post because I wouldn't want to spend that much money if that wasn't the right choice in general. However, with everyone's reassurance and research I realized that a 10x16 run of 160 sq. ft. is more than double the "requirement" for my girls and, with the additions I will be adding, will be just fine. I appreciate the feedback about ventilation. I actually spent some time in there while we were installing the roof and I felt that the space under the roof and small spaces between each slat of wood (which you can't really see in the picture) provided ventilation, but I will consider replacing some upper boards with hardware cloth.

Enjoy touching up your new coop. Good to read you found a solution that works for all parties including your chickens. Your neighbour will be happy to see the effort you have gone to.
We all spend a little too much money and/or energy on something that gives us pleasure, even the most thrifty of us! For some its finding the perfect shoes for others its keeping happy chickens, personally I fail in the shoe department and always go to the discount bin, now as to my animals.... it's a different story.
tongue.png

Just for reference, this is me sitting inside the coop, with all the doors closed, with my dog. You can see the space in between the wood for ventilation and how bright it is in here. It's a breezy day where I live and I can feel it blowing through. I think we'll be ok! If I feel like it's a problem once they move in, I'll add a turbine vent to the roof :)

Negativity not necessary! Like I said, the money is not the issue. I just mentioned it in my orginal post because I wouldn't want to spend that much money if that wasn't the right choice in general. However, with everyone's reassurance and research I realized that a 10x16 run of 160 sq. ft. is more than double the "requirement" for my girls and, with the additions I will be adding, will be just fine. I appreciate the feedback about ventilation. I actually spent some time in there while we were installing the roof and I felt that the space under the roof and small spaces between each slat of wood (which you can't really see in the picture) provided ventilation, but I will consider replacing some upper boards with hardware cloth.

That's a good decision. Sit inside that coop on your hottest day this summer and see how you feel about the ventilation then....everything is different in the summer time and it takes awhile for that coop to cool down at night after baking all day under a metal roof.

Back
Top Bottom