What would you do? **UPDATE**

I, like you, would want to dognap the dog, however according to my SO (who is a cop) it's still theft; especially if you go onto the guy's property to get the dog. If the guy is that much of a jerk is he gonna be enough of a jerk to call the cops on you and tell them what he suspects? Just cover your tush is all I'm saying.

A few years back my son knew this guy who totally mistreated his dog. I asked my son to take him away and I had the dog treated at a local vet and then flown back east. My sister and her partner fell in love with the dog and have given him the best life ever. They noticed a limp and had it checked out - seems that the jerk had tossed the dog as a pup and she had a broken hip that healed poorly. Happy ending - right? Not exactly ... the jerk got another dog.
th.gif
And so the cycle continues.

I'd take the dog and bring it to the family. Giving one dog a good life is better than seeing the poor creature mistreated.

Quote:
Ah, but, where you have been feeding the dog there is something in there about it becoming yours. I'm not sure how it works but, I know someone that was told by their town board when she complained about the neglect the neighbor was giving his dog she was told that if she had stepped in to feed it she would then be responsible. I'm not sure if that is a local thing or more wide spread though.

Quote:
I dont know your laws, but in MD all animals must have access to water and adiquate (-1 sp) shelter. So if your laws are the same call animal control, and have your friends adopt the dog when he is put up for adoption.

md, I'm really not sure what the laws here as far as providng shelter and water - I did consider calling animal control and then having the family adopting, but it seems like a big wast of time and stress on the dog, when I can just cut to the chase, albeit theft - I really don't care.

Quote:
I wouldn't have to go on the jerks property - the dog is always at my house. Dog? What dog? I haven't seen any dog...

i have been in this position many many times, with different neighbor's animals. My experience has been that it never works to talk to the person. You are not going to be able to change them into a caring person. And then mentioning you want the dog will make him suspicious when the dog ends up missing. Going to the authorities generally does nothing, unless the abuse is extreme, because most animal control agencies are overwhelmed.

At this point in my life, if i see an animal in a bad situation, i quietly step in and get it to a rescue group or a better home. Looking back, that is what i wish i would have done in every single situation.

I'm not one to tell someone else to break the law, but this guy has clearly broken the law himself by mistreating this innocent animal. Therefore, he has no rights. You get that dog to a good home and fast before it gets hit by a car. Then you should report him to the animal services. That might deter him from getting another dog if he knows that he is being "watched" by the authorities. I'm sorry you have to deal with this dilema.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom