What's The "Smartest" Thing You've Seen a Chicken Do?

Yes I'm so used to him laying around like a couch potato I forgot his greatest talent. That's where the "go to bed" comes in. I have to wake both him and my daughter and tell them "go to bed you can't sleep on the couch". She goes one way and he goes the other lol

Punkin (my house BO who does go outside when she wishes) has learned the particular "I want some" bark from my elderly dachshund means I am eating something. She will come running from another part of the house to get some of whatever I am presumably going to share with him. She also checks in whenever she hears the crackling sound of something being unwrapped - it could be something edible and nummy!

Last edited:
Don't know if this shows intelligence but one of our girls will not eat chicken. She will watch the others scarf it down and look at me with a "really" look in her eye. She will eat any other kind of meat though.
I really don't think she can tell cooked chicken bits are chicken though, lol.

Last edited:
My chicken "LESKI!!!" has made a habit of signing me up to poultry websites, then tells me to write the darndest things.
LOL... we all know that chickens train their people to provide treats, but this takes the chicken's influence to a whole new level.

Come to think of it, my chickens have been exerting this form of mind control over me for years now. They are brilliant - they influenced me so subtlety, I did not realize it.

Here is a video that demonstrates some chicken smarts. The video doesn't really involve outsmarting a child, but the chicken behavior shown speaks for itself.

0.jpg

Last edited:
Love this thread! A couple smart hen stories:

When I was first training my hens to free range, then return to their coop, I used mealworms as the 'coming home' treat. Copper, our biggest hen (a Black Copper Marans/Welsummer cross), loves all treats almost desperately. A few days into training, she went out, and two minutes later, she was waiting at the coop door. I let her back in, and when I didn't get the mealworm bag, she gave me a disgusted look and headed to the door.

We have a pair of Russian Orloffs, who are both smart. Our young Ameraucana roo, Dickens, has been trying (unsuccessfully) to mate with them. He is just not long-bodied enough. It's getting on the hens' nerves. He mounted one of them, and she walked under a low perch and scraped him off :) She looked quite proud of herself afterward.

Lol, Those are funny stories. Copper reminds me of a trick-or-treater who would revisit houses on the same street in a slightly different costume - "What? I haven't been here before... Where is my candy?"

Back
Top Bottom