whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

Quote:
If you have anything in a dropper bottle you can dissolve the vit b from the capsule in water. Then hold her as you put drops of the solution around her beak. She will eventually get some of it in her. It is messy but youve got to get the vit b in her. I coated meal worms and thawed, frozen corn with the crushed vit b as my chicken love both.

I brought mine up to the porch and set her on a piece of carpet on a table, and held her so she wouldn't try to move around. She ate oatmeal with the Vit. B in it...ate most of it. I put water and more B in one of the waterer things and wired it to the side of the cage, so she at least can't turn it over. I'll give her some cantalope in an hour or so.
Do I just make sure there is some vitamin in everything she eats and drinks, or do I limit it to a few times a day?

Quote:
This description of Paula sounds just exactly like my chicken (not yet named) - except mine hasn't lost control of her head or neck. But the first part....first staggering, then down, then on her side, and now at least she isn't on her side any more. She tries to move by pushing with her knees (or whatever that joint is) and flapping wings, but doesn't really get anywhere. She was really content to sit in my lap for awhile, with a towel under her (for my protection, you know). She made soft clucking sounds off and on.
I had to put her back outside due to three grandkids, 5,4, and 7, wanting some lunch. Imagine that! They think they have to eat three times a day at least! When I get organized, I'll go bring her back in the house again. I want to work with her feet some. And I'm keeping everything crossed, for all of us having this problem.

Quote:
If you have anything in a dropper bottle you can dissolve the vit b from the capsule in water. Then hold her as you put drops of the solution around her beak. She will eventually get some of it in her. It is messy but youve got to get the vit b in her. I coated meal worms and thawed, frozen corn with the crushed vit b as my chicken love both.

I brought mine up to the porch and set her on a piece of carpet on a table, and held her so she wouldn't try to move around. She ate oatmeal with the Vit. B in it...ate most of it. I put water and more B in one of the waterer things and wired it to the side of the cage, so she at least can't turn it over. I'll give her some cantalope in an hour or so.
Do I just make sure there is some vitamin in everything she eats and drinks, or do I limit it to a few times a day?

You cant over-do the B vitamins. They are water soluble so any excess will pass through her system as in humans. Give with each feeding until she is well. That is what I did with Baby. Today I continue using nutritional yeast which is a good source of vitamin B.

Quote:
This description of Paula sounds just exactly like my chicken (not yet named) - except mine hasn't lost control of her head or neck. But the first part....first staggering, then down, then on her side, and now at least she isn't on her side any more. She tries to move by pushing with her knees (or whatever that joint is) and flapping wings, but doesn't really get anywhere. She was really content to sit in my lap for awhile, with a towel under her (for my protection, you know). She made soft clucking sounds off and on.
I had to put her back outside due to three grandkids, 5,4, and 7, wanting some lunch. Imagine that! They think they have to eat three times a day at least! When I get organized, I'll go bring her back in the house again. I want to work with her feet some. And I'm keeping everything crossed, for all of us having this problem.

That is good that she still have use of her wings. Trying to move herself and use her legs sounds like Baby. At his worst he could not move or use either his wings nor legs. As he improved he started using both. Just get as much B down her as possible and it doesnt hurt to work the legs though it doesnt sound she is paralysis, just doesnt have good control. I think you caught it very early and that is great. I bet she improves in 24 hours after B therapy.

Thank God this is a continuing thread. I was scared that everyone was done with it.

I hardly slept last night due to being excited about trying the vit B therapy. First thing this morning I ran to the store for the vitamin B and grabbed some Vitamin E as well. I bought yogurt, soft baby cat food, cottage cheese and creamed corn. I had no luck with the cottage cheese, yogurt, or corn. But finally got it to eat chick starter absorbed in crushed vit B and water. S/he LOVED it. I just hope it's getting enough and that it isn't too diluted. I will just keep doing this feeding thing every hour. I also have Vit B and E diluted in the water. The little chick tries so hard to get over to the food and water, which are only a few inches away, but s/he can't balance enough to get it in the mouth. So I have been holding it up while it eats from my hand...same with the water. I let it pool up in the palm of my hand and that's how it drinks.

I have been obsessed with this situation because s/he seems alert and pain free (Until trying to walk and falling into things). I was thinking about making a little helmet for it so that it doesn't hurt it's brain. I have also tried making a sling like thing for it to sit in but I haven't figured it out yet.

Please keep us all posted with any good or bad news, the more we know then more we can try and do for them. No matter how many times my family has told me to put it down, I just can't do it until I know I have done everything possible. We have became real close and I don't want to loose this battle.

Prayers for all our chickens.

~Sara

I was starting to think that is what happened to mine, and still wonder. But after so many see to be having the same symptoms with theirs, I'm thinking maybe not. There is just no way to know for sure. But the vitamin therapy sure can't hurt. I had just a sprinkle of sand in the coop mine sleep in, mostly under the roosts until I can get the poop boards installed, and the floor is painted with polyurethane. So the little bit of sand would slide as they jumped off their roosts, or at least it seems like that. But the 7 others that sleep in that coop are fine.
I have added more layers of sand for sure, so they are not as likely to slide (maybe!) when they jump down.
However.....right now the temporary pens we have for the others to roost at night, just have a cement floor that we have to keep washing poop off of. We can't seem to get it together around here to have everything that I think we should have. So that's a hard hit when they jump off their roosts.
I guess there is never an easy answer to much of anything!

i found vit. e in water soluble,does that mean she will get rid of what she doesnt need like the vit. b?also should i put the vit. b in the drinking water instead of the eletrolytes,if so how many pills in a pint mason jar?

Back
Top Bottom