Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
Quote:
Technically (genetically) I believe it is Self Blue Columbian.

The name "Coronation" was given to the bird in honor of some king, or noble person, I dunno... something extraneous that really has nothing to do with the actual color.

Quote:
This is what I was referring to. Under Blue variations it lists Blue Wheaton, Blue tailed Buff which would be typical BBS. The one called Coronation Columbian would not be BBS since Coronation is a self Blue. So rather than Coronation Columbian shouldn't it be called Blue Columbian since it would fall under BBS? or is there really a self blue Columbian Marans?

Quote:
I don't think I will ever get sick of seeing egg pictures. Love your eggs!
thumbsup.gif

There are different terminology used in different Countries, and in different breeds.

The Coronation Sussex in the UK & Europe are a Blue Silver Columbian. eWh/eWh S/S Bl/bl+
The Coronation Sussex in Australia, were the US Coronation Sussex were sourced from are
Lavender Silver Columbian eWh/eWh S/S lav/lav

Just as an aside Coronation Orpingtons are tri-coloured as in Speckled Sussex.
David

Quote:
So this bird (Blue Silver Columbian) would have a groundcolor of silver (mostly white bodied ?), columbian restrictors would restrict black to the hackle, near the tail and tail and the wing band on the male and possibly some smudging or flecking on the back?...and the blue, of course effects the black areas. Right?
How do you get to Silver from a Wheaten?? Is a white bird used anywhere in this process?
And sorry if none of this made any sense....I'm still trying to make it make sense in my head, let alone trying to put it in to text.

Last edited:
just keeping this post alive or trying

april 7 2009 pictures of eggs , stright davis lines ,this is what they looked like color wise one turned out to be a blue copper some didnt hatch some were roosters i didnt like ,,, and one of the eggs pictured hatched a roo that started my wheaten flock , i hatched a hen from a ebay seller said to be davis lines , so thats 2 birds , then got some eggs (no pictures ) cottage hill lines threw buddy henery got 2 hens so that made 4 birds outta all that time and work , takes for ever i have 10 old birds i have had a few years ....... i am hatching as many as i can and culling all the roo , i want to keep 15 and rotate out older birds form time to time
20346_mvc00002.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom