Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
Quote:
Oh Yeah, go ahead, ............. get them.............Jump on the band wagon with the rest of Chicken nuts.!!!!!!! LOL

lol.png
I may have to start my own local chapter of Chickens Anonymous
lol.png
I really think I am addicted!!! Going to take the plunge and get them as well.

Good for you.I don't think you will be sorry as long as they are decent stock. You can build from there like the rest of us.....LOL

Wheaten Marans male owners, need a favor, check the hackle and saddle feathers and see if they have a black stripe similar to the BC Marans. Thanks, Don

The neck hackle and saddle feathers should not have any black markings in the male, black markings should be in the neck hackle of the female.
David​

Thanks for the replys. Just an information gathering idea. My line of wheaten have the black stripe in the hackle on the male. Some months in the past went on the French site with a magnifying light and all the male wheaten there have the black stripe in the Hackle. I believe at one time Bev Davis said the american wheaten would have the stripe in the hackle. Just something else to try and clear up before the standard goes to APA. Don

i agree ,,,, everyone needs wheaten marans , i like the color pattern most for me....and yes its
important to start with the best stock you can get thats what i did in febuary 26 2009 But be prepared to the amount of time involved at least 7 months per generation and that’s little time left for culling for egg color ,body size and type ,that’s just kicking birds out … I still have parent stock and a first generation after all that time .. i Started with 2 and a half dozen eggs for my flock and out of 30 eggs I got 3 hens and a rooster and many roosters I rehomed .my first crossed generation hens lay as dark or darker eggs , that’s why I think keeping egg pictures of original eggs is important especially if u cross lines like davis and Presley .and helps if your not using large numbers of birds its easier to control whats going on in my flock …..

Quote:
lol.png
I may have to start my own local chapter of Chickens Anonymous
lol.png
I really think I am addicted!!! Going to take the plunge and get them as well.

Good for you.I don't think you will be sorry as long as they are decent stock. You can build from there like the rest of us.....LOL

Here is the SO FAR (still needs tweaking ) proposed SOP for the Wheaten males, as per the MCCUsa site:

Color of Male

Disqualifications:
Spotted Breast. Black or no Triangular wing bays at all.

The Cock:
Wheat cocks are black, with a coppery-red coat, and so looking like the Black Copper cocks except as for the triangular wing mirror which is brown.

Comb, Face, Wattles and Earlobes: Bright red.
Beak: Light horn shading to white at tip.
Eyes: Reddish bay.
Shanks and Toes: Pinkish white.
Head: Light orange, free from dark feathers. ( varying from golden-red to brown-red )Neck:
Hackle: Light orange, free from dark feathers. ( varying from golden-red to brown-red ) Front of neck: Black.
Back:
Back: Mahogany Red
Saddle: Mahogany Red color matching the hacklesTail:
Main Tail: Black with reddish cast.
Sickles and Coverts: Black with glints of beetle green
Wings:
Shoulders: Strong Mahogany Red.
Bows: Strong Mahogany Red to match back.
Coverts: Lustrous Black forming a bluish black armband.
Primaries: Black, edged in brown.
Secondaries: Brown with internal Black barbs forms a Brown Triangular wing bay.
Breast: Black.
Body and Stern: Black.
Legs:
Lower Thighs: Black.
Shank and Toe Feathering: Black.
Ear Down: Brown
Undercolor: Light slate. Very light in hackle and saddle

So far they have the saddle color as mahogany, yet it is supposed to match the hackle color which is light orange? Tweak needed here, or at least some kind of clarification?

Last edited:
To me it would make sense for the proposed standard to call for hackles free of any black striping. It is a fault in W/BW Ameraucana, so I don't think it should be an exception with Marans.

Back
Top Bottom