When can an adult rooster be introduced to pullets?

I have some 5-6 week old pullets and recently received a adult roosters things went well upon introduction for about 2 hours then he started being kind of bad. Will things settle down in a few days. We have been given them separate outside time an locking him up at night.
They will settle down in a few days. But I think the smart thing to do would to keep them separate where they can still see each other. Then when the chicks are at least eight weeks old limit the time together till you see how things are going. Truth is you really don't know how easily an adult will accept chicks. When a broody raises chicks with the flock experienced about chicks, the chicks can wander far from mom among the adults without worry. But a single bird with an unknown experience with chicks, without a broody sponsor, you never know how it will go. So give them time to grow a little more and get used to each other through wire.

No that's bull crap I have 6 week old pullets and a adult rooster and they get along fine here is a picture he crows all day everyday and he hangs out with 6 week old pullets I know he is a adult because he crowS

No that's bull crap I have 6 week old pullets and a adult rooster and they get along fine here is a picture he crows all day everyday and he hangs out with 6 week old pullets I know he is a adult because he crowS

do you have others hens. We do not. Just the girls that are 19 weeks now.

He flogged one so I removed him and put him in a different pin. Well the next day I had to work late so I had my dad go tend them and he didn't believe that the rooster would behave this way so he reintroduced him and he almost instantly flogged one of my rir nearly break her leg. He has been in his own run next to their ever since. We have allowed some supervised fence free interactions and he did very well, doing the wing dance or whatever it's called. But I feel like they are still to small to handle him if he tries to mount them. A few more weeks and we will try again. They have started to respond to food giggles and he responds to their egg song practicing.

He flogged one so I removed him and put him in a different pin. Well the next day I had to work late so I had my dad go tend them and he didn't believe that the rooster would behave this way so he reintroduced him and he almost instantly flogged one of my rir nearly break her leg. He has been in his own run next to their ever since. We have allowed some supervised fence free interactions and he did very well, doing the wing dance or whatever it's called. But I feel like they are still to small to handle him if he tries to mount them. A few more weeks and we will try again. They have started to respond to food giggles and he responds to their egg song practicing.
Can you send me a picture of the roo if you have one

It was simply to fast of an adjustment. I was a fool to just let him in without fence between them for a few days. But my farmer friend that we got him from assured me he would do fine. Lack of chicken/rooster behavior. I've never owned a rooster or really even been around one before Hugh, shame on me for not doing my homework.

Back
Top Bottom