When do chickens molt?

Mine are done molting but still aren't all laying. Some take a winter break. Which i think is good for them. They'll be up and running soooon!

Call me crazy but I have a heater and a light in my chicken's coop. I also am new to the chicken raising but will this effect their molting process?

Call me crazy but I have a heater and a light in my chicken's coop. I also am new to the chicken raising but will this effect their molting process?
Welcome to BYC!

Depends on how long the light is on and how old your chickens are.

Heating is not a great idea in 99% of situations and climates.

Before my hen started molting she stopped laying eggs for a week. She still hasn't layed because she's mid molt but is it weird that she's molting in late october? I'm just a little worried.

Last edited:
Before my hen started molting she stopped laying eggs for a week. She still hasn't layed because she's mid molt but is it weird that she's molting in late october? I'm just a little worried.

I have 3 molting right now, 2 just starting and one almost finished. I don't think I'd worry unless you see signs she is sick?

I've noticed this morning my blue splash Marans started having all this pin feathers on the neck. I thought at first she has some dirt on her neck and she is kind isolating herself on the run roost.

Is it possible that my barely 8 months old Marans is molting already?

Back
Top Bottom