When do chickens molt?

Thank you! I worry about them. I tried the saddles, but if they're not changed often enough they get really grimey. Then I worried that bugs would hide under them. Sadly, this is only happening with my buff orpingtons, the rest seem perfectly fine. But again thank you, I look forward to fall :)

I have a couple of questions to add! If we have a light in our coop will it help the molting? Will the molt be a tiny molt? Will it help keep egg production up? And if we up the protein before the molt starts will that help too??

I have a couple of questions to add! If we have a light in our coop will it help the molting? Will the molt be a tiny molt? Will it help keep egg production up? And if we up the protein before the molt starts will that help too??
I don't use lights, so I'm not sure. I have read that it will delay the molt, but not stop it completely. I would imagine they would start laying sooner with lights, but I'm not positive on that. I start increasing protein in September (Northern Hemisphere). I will mix in a game bird feed, which is 30% protein. Also, it's pricey, but Calf Manna helps with feather conditioning as well.

I am in California too, Central Valley, so I think I will up protein in September too. I was actually just readin a little about adding the Game bird feed to up the protein. I am going go with that. Thanks!

Does anyone have ducks as well? I house mine together and I worry about giving too high a protein diet to my ducks. I would have nothing against raising it for my chickens, but I dont want the ducks to get angel wing. Just wondering if anyone else has both and what kind of suggestions you have.

Does anyone have ducks as well? I house mine together and I worry about giving too high a protein diet to my ducks. I would have nothing against raising it for my chickens, but I dont want the ducks to get angel wing. Just wondering if anyone else has both and what kind of suggestions you have.

I don't have ducks. Hopefully someone will join in that does.

I have a broody raising a chick right now. Does anyone know if being broody will affect her molt? I've noticed a lot of tail feathers from her in the yard this past week. I don't have a rooster and none of the other girls are loosing feathers yet.

Both hens I have that hatched chicks molted. Their feathers exploded around the yard and within a few weeks they grew all new feathers. I have one that just stopped being broody and is regrowing feathers and the rest I'm still waiting on. I would guess any time now they'll start their molt, the days are getting pretty short.

I have a broody raising a chick right now. Does anyone know if being broody will affect her molt? I've noticed a lot of tail feathers from her in the yard this past week. I don't have a rooster and none of the other girls are loosing feathers yet.

I have some broodies that have started molting before their chicks were fully weaned.

Back
Top Bottom