When do Easter Eggers start laying?

I've got 3 hens 2 easter egger and a red star. All 24 weeks old and no eggs !!! 1st timer here so never seen one "squat" but I've read about it and I don't think they do that yet. Anyone want to guess how much longer I'm going to have to wait .
I've got 3 hens 2 easter egger and a red star. All 24 weeks old and no eggs !!! 1st timer here so never seen one "squat" but I've read about it and I don't think they do that yet. Anyone want to guess how much longer I'm going to have to wait .

I'm so sorry I just reposted and tried to reply a couple of times! Still trying to figure out how to navigate this site on my iPhone!

I'm fairly new as well and I had no idea what squatting meant until one day when I got close to my EE she started "cowering" especially if I tried to pet her. I was so upset because she is my friendliest hen and I didn't want her to be afraid of me!
1f4a1.png
It was then that I finally realized exactly what was meant by squatting! Within a week or so after that my EE layed her first egg. She was just about 30 weeks and it was near the shortest day of the year here in NY. She continued to lay every other day until the end of January when we experienced our first blizzard and now I haven't seen a blue egg in a few weeks
1f61e.png
I'm hoping as the daylight increases she'll be back on track soon. Good luck, it'll happen soon!
1f414.png
1f495.png

Last edited:
I have 2 EEs both 25 weeks old yesterday. One of them has been letting my roo top her for the last week. NO eggs from either of the EEs. Is this normal for one to be squatting/topped and not lay yet?

Well this weekend I received my first blue egg at 26 weeks. Lovely color although hard to tell from this pic. Soooooooooo excited!

Finally, finally, FINALLY!!! My lovely EE is 2 days shy of 48 weeks. All of our other girls (non-EE's) have been laying since 23-28 weeks, consistently throughout the winter, and we have been waiting and waiting for our girl. Even thought she may have been possibly giving us brown ones. She just never seemed ready as big as she is. Our daughter commented that she went to pet the EE and up went the wings, a sign we have been waiting for, about 2 weeks ago. And here we are. So all of you waiting for your late bloomers to finally lay, it WILL HAPPEN!!

None of my EE's squat for me. It is probably because they were added to the flock late and I did not socialize with them much and they like to keep a little distance. All of my other chickens that are laying will squat.
What I've heard from other BYCians is to bring them a treat when you go out. You may have to put it on the ground and back away at first, so be sure they see you lay it down. Soon they will begin to associate your appearance with the treats and realize that you may be a good friend to have.
hugs.gif

As for the small eggs, I have learned through experience that the First Egg usually is undersized. Remember mama is just starting to learn how to use that freshly booted system.
wink.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have seven Americana pullets that I got from a local farm store, however I know they get their chicks from Mt Healthy Hatchery. They are just over two weeks old, so I have a loong wait. I got them on the 30th of March so I'm pretty sure they were hatched on Easter Weekend (appropriate!). So it's likely I won't be seeing any eggs until late September, assuming they lay at all before they shut down for the winter.

No one else in my household to my knowledge has ever heard about Easter Eggers, so I have been diligent about calling them 'Americanas'. Stating that they are a cross between the Ameraucana and some other breed, that they are good layers, lay large eggs, are docile, people friendly, cold hardy, everything EXCEPT the color of the eggs..

I can't wait to see their faces when my girls start producing, I really hope I get a good variety and quality of shell colors!

Last edited:
Mine is 27 weeks and still nothing. I feel like I'm waiting for the birth of one of children...waiting on this dang Easter Egger egg hahahaha. She's not exactly squatting yet but she stopped running away when we walk near her, she just freezes. Hopefully soon!

My 2 Ameraucanas (or ee?) Just started laying (hatched Februaryish?) But have been laying beige eggs (lighter than my golden comets by a lot). Will they color as they mature or is this the color? I didn't set out to have colorful eggs, but now that I have these girls, I'm really excited about the pretty colors.

Back
Top Bottom