When will cockrels start crowing?

bumblebird

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
We have what appears to be a Mr among our young flock. These were hatched around the 15th of March, so they are coming up on 4 months (16 weeks).

At what point should we expect to audibly confirm that this is actually a guy, not a girl? "He" is a White Rock, and quite sociable.

They can start crowing anywhere from a few days to up to a year of age. However, you can check by seeing when the comb went red. If the comb went red in the last week or two its probably a pullet. Roosters show a red comb around 5-10 weeks of age.

Its a very nice looking bird!
smile.png

Thank you, GitaBooks. :) The comb is quite larger than his buddies', and it went red sometime last month. So we're right in calling him "Olaf" rather than Olga!

I have three roosters out of our four 'girls' , and one out of two S.R. (So 4/6). My 'top boy' started crowing at about 12 weeks old, and eyes anybody else who looks like they might want to do it, too. He crows four or five times every morning, just so everybody knows he is still the boss around here, and then goes on with the day. However, he isn't very friendly at all, and if he and his Red cronies weren't spoken for (someone wants them), he would be packed for the freezer. I'm keeping our handsome EE instead. :) Currently they just began their 15th week. :)

Last edited:
First I am pretty sure that is a pullet getting close to laying. Its maturing and its comb is getting big and red. Also there r no saddle feathers which is also sign of a pullet. :D

My rooster has started crowing at 3 months. He only does it about 4-5 times in the morning and then quiet the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom