Where can I find some chickens? Atlanta, ga

Words&Stuff

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 29, 2011
Hey all. I've spent the last two weeks with eyes glued to this forum and I'm just finishing up the last touches on my horse stall turned chicken coop. Now as I'm ready for some chickens I find that Meyers and other hatcheries arent selling any chickens until January. Craigslist seems sketchy, I don't want to start my chicken career to start off with expensive, difficult diseases and infestations.

I live in Conyers, GA, would anyone know of farms, hatcheries, anybody that I could buy good quality healthy chickens from that is driving distance or reasonably shipped? I cant get a hold of littlegem or pennysfarm. I'd prefer to find some birds that are just laying or younger and breeds like leghorns Easter eggers Cochins polish or silkies. A couple solid layers and some goofy personalities (4-6 to start with), of course I'll take most any bird at this point.

Thanks for this resource and for your help!

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't really help you, I live in Kansas. I know there are a bunck of great people here who could help!
wink.png

Thanks anyhow. Boy do I want to see those critters clucking around here and delivering me some excellent breakfasts!

welcome-byc.gif

It is not a great time to find chicks because of the cold. They would have to live in your house or a heated barn for almost 2 months until they are fully feathered and have enough body mass to deal with the cold. What kind of chickens are you looking for, bantam or large fowl? Show quality or for backyard production only? How many?

I recommend getting on meetup.com and finding the Atlanta Backyard Poultry group - they are a network of Atlanta area chicken keepers and though many are not allowed roosters, some may have eggs they could hatch for you (or have their hens hatch). Ask around on that forum and they will hook you up however they're able.

On this forum, check out the GA thread in "Where am I? Where are you?" and ask around. A lot of folks aren't in Atlanta proper but are within 1-2hr drive. Also worthwhile to check in with South Carolina and Alabama threads in case someone in one of those states is hatching chicks.

Your other immediate option is to order from Ideal poultry and have chicks shipped. You'd have to order $25 (that's about a dozen chicks).

Your best bet is to find someone locally, possibly off of craigslist, and go visit their farm. Ask lots off questions. See the conditions in which the chicks and chickens are raised in and make a decision if you want to do business or not.

I am a small hobby chicken person.. meaning I hatch like crazy, raise them for fun - selling a few here and a few there. I have chicks, a few teenchicks (variety) and a few adults that I can sell.. I live right off I-75 but can meet you in McDonough if you need.

chicks include Welsummers, Barred Rock, Cuckoo Maran... smaller chicks (newly hatched) include Easter Eggers, Black Copper Marans and barnyard mix.

teenchicks include Barred rock, Ameracauna (although a bit attached to them), Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp

Adults - Buff Orpington (no rooster), White Leghorn (no rooster), a cute pair of bantam cochins (he is black, she is white), a pair of black polish, Barred Rock .. humm that is all I think..
jumpy.gif

PM me if interested.. no pressure.. they are more like my pets than a means to make money (although I do sell eggs..lol)

Shelly

go to google and put in

The Georgia Farmer's and Consumer's Market Bulletin

It's a farm based newspaper put out by the GA Dept. of Agriculture. All ads are from GA residence and seems like 90% of the poultry ads are in the metro Atlanta area.
You should easily be able to find what you are looking for there.

I've met some great folks on craigslist selling eggs and chicks, Never met a unhonest backyard chicken person.

I purchased all my chicks from all over GA. I will drive 1.5 hours for the right healthy chick. I found private breeder's that only bread the birds to the highest standards because that's there thing and I've met folks that has no clue, but doing it very well. I have 50 birds and 1 Roo, what a lucky guy. LOL.

Take a minute to talk w/ the person selling the chicks and ask them as many questions as you can, there's no such thing as a dumb question in the chicken business, although some questions got me scratching my head. You will do fine, just look before you leap and it will all work out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom