Which hatchery do you use for rock cross meat birds?

ohiocluckcluck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
Southwest Ohio
Hi Everyone,
We're looking to get 25 or so rock cross and this will be our first time ordering chicks, we just bought them before at TSC in the spring. I'm looking at Meyer Hatchery and Purely Poultry Hatchery. They add up to about the same amount so cost isn't an issue I just want to be sure I'm getting good healthy chicks. Has anyone used either of these hatcheries? Or do you have a favorite hatchery, I am looking for one fairly close to Ohio to save on the shipping cost. Let me know!
big_smile.png

I've been using Myers Poultry in Western PA. Shipping should be close to what Meyer's charges. I think Myer's has a little better pricing and they most always have birds available when I want them. Their (Myers) strain grows a little slower at the beginning which helps prevent leg problems. They catch up starting at week 5.

We have used Ideal, Mt Healthy, Welp, Meyer, and this time Murray McMurray. We've had the most luck with the McMurray meat birds when it comes to size and speed of grown.

But maybe we just got lucky.

We have used Ideal, Mt Healthy, Welp, Meyer, and this time Murray McMurray. We've had the most luck with the McMurray meat birds when it comes to size and speed of grown.

But maybe we just got lucky.
Last year I used Mcmurray I had no losses on arrival or after. grew out great, this year I used Meyers in Ohio, 2 were DOA and 6 more died within 12 hrs, in spite of giving electrolytes with an eyedropper. They were shipped during a heat wave with no gel. They gave us back the shipping cost of 14.63.

McMurray all the way. I use their broiler booster for Cornish X rocks. At 9 weeks old they are weighing 11 1/2 lbs. Processing this weekend.

We just ordered 25 CX from Purely Poultry. Customer service was great pre-order. Order went through without a hitch so far. They due to arrive tomorrow! I'll let you know how they arrive with pics...this is our 1st order through them.

Back
Top Bottom