White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

I raised 3 brown leghorns The rooster I had to get rid of he was a mean boy. The girls I still have just never can find their eggs. They hide them. Now I have 3 white leghorn chicks. They are so cute. I hope they tun out great. My brown girls are so skittish.

PSJ, Chicken Obsessed & Liberty Nursery...you are brilliant!

The guy who gave me these pullets said he knew even less about chickens than I did. You guys must be correct, White Cornish.

Leghorns are flighty, light, clean, active and good foragers. These hens have none of those characteristics. They are growing so fast they cannot fly. They can't even really walk, they waddle 2-3 feet then plop down (usually in their own poo).

Thanks for setting me straight!!!!

PSJ, Chicken Obsessed & Liberty Nursery...you are brilliant!

The guy who gave me these pullets said he knew even less about chickens than I did.  You guys must be correct, White Cornish.

Leghorns are flighty, light, clean, active and good foragers.  These hens have none of those characteristics.  They are growing so fast they cannot fly.  They can't even really walk, they waddle 2-3 feet then plop down (usually in their own poo).

Thanks for setting me straight!!!!
lazy and nasty.... Yep! Those are Cornish meat birds!! Lol! Their bodies will grow so fast that their feathers can't keep up. My friend has some and hers have bald spots for that reason. Most ppl suggest only leaving their feed out for 12 hours at a time because they will literally eat themselves to death. If not processed, some ppl say they can live but it takes a lot of work. They are bred to be meat birds and processed at an early age.

I read a post where a guy had his birds outside.He came home and all the cornish were dead because it was hot out and they were to lazy to move to a water source that all the other chickens used. Some died like ten foot away from the water.
For meat birds i like dual purpose birds.Those red rangers sound like decent meat birds.
Someone near here has spotted sussex,they sound good.But not fast growing.

I read a post where a guy had his birds outside.He came home and all the cornish were dead because it was hot out and they were to lazy to move to a water source that all the other chickens used. Some died like ten foot away from the water.
    For meat birds i like dual purpose birds.Those red rangers sound like decent meat birds.
-_- pitiful

I have had them. There not chickens. LOL I have Heritage Reds, Heritage Delawares, LB's and even the GLW are all good duel purpose birds. But the GLW are to pretty!! LOL

Sussex are wonderful chickens. I had one I raised but passed. She was like a cat. She did not think she was a chicken at all. They are great dual purpose birds. Good egg layers and meaty too. Although I don't eat mine, they are pets to me. The best kind of pet. I feed them and they feed us. It is a partnership for sure. My dog just eats and sleeps and poops. Love him anyhow though. LOL

After viewing this thread I am thinking mine are leghorns. Any thoughts? They are 6 1/2 weeks old....

I think the one posing is a roo....
He's the only one with brown markings so at first I thought amberlink but unsure.

i have 4 leghorns going on 14 weeks and cant wait for them pearly white eggs hopefully wont b long

Back
Top Bottom