White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

i love my leghorns. i didn't have a preference when i went to tsc to get some. the leghorns were on sale so that's what came home with me.
one of my girls started laying right around four months. the other 5 started within a month after that.
Im not the type to pick up, pet, or name my chickens so i don't mind them being flighty.
i do love the egg tho.

i love my leghorns. i didn't have a preference when i went to tsc to get some. the leghorns were on sale so that's what came home with me.
one of my girls started laying right around four months. the other 5 started within a month after that.
I'm not the type to pick up, pet, or name my chickens so i don't mind them being flighty.
i do love the egg tho.

That's why I got my 7. They are egg laying machines. There awesome. I sell a lot of egg and people sometimes are discouraged with the white eggs. I mix them how ever they are layed. I tell them there is NO difference in taste between the colors of the shells. Brown, blue, white they all taste the same. It's all on how they were raised, what there feed and how fresh they are. Once they taste them there fine with it.

Last edited:
Yes its the feed. Greens make for tasty more healthy eggs. You can really see the difference in the color of the yolks.
A friend who has chickens and i find our chickens dont even want chicken feed from a bag.
I give them a little but its greens for my chickens.They let you know about it also.Mine look at the feed and give you a dirty look,like you expect me to eat this crap!

Forgotten..? there are Billions of them...
Billons yes, but I could not find one egg or chicken or pullet ! Wanting one for a few years I finally found a gal who had a rooster and a hen and I purchased the eggs, 6 hatched. There adorable . May be a billion out there but to many montanans it's hard to find them lol

I dont know what they are like yet but I wish that I had a hen of this pretty breed.We thought that we would get a hen but......now it is a rooster.
sad.png

but on the bright side my mom does not want a rooster but I will try to get her to keep him,becase he was my first chicken.But many chickens will die so i should get used to having new chickens all the time.
smile.png

M
I dont know what they are like yet but I wish that I had a hen of this pretty breed.We thought that we would get a hen but......now it is a rooster.
sad.png

but on the bright side my mom does not want a rooster but I will try to get her to keep him,becase he was my first chicken.But many chickens will die so i should get used to having new chickens all the time.
smile.png
Perhaps you should do some more research on chicken husbandry. Most chickens will die due to ignorance of the caregiver. If proper precautions are taken against predators, if sanitation practices are followed, and if routine preventative health care is provided, you should not lose too many chickens.

By the time you invest in a few bags of feed, the chickens will no longer seem like a "disposable" item to your mother.

Yes its the feed. Greens make for tasty more healthy eggs. You can really see the difference in the color of the yolks.
   A friend who has chickens and i find our chickens dont even want chicken feed from a bag.
I give them a little but its greens for my chickens.They let you know about it also.Mine look at the feed and give you a dirty look,like you expect me to eat this crap!

Chickens can not live on greens alone, and will get sick and die if not fed the right foods. Bagged feed is a good choice, or you can make feed your self but you must make the right feed. Just like some who feed only corn or scratz h, your chicken is loosing out on nutrition when not given a good food.

Well I disagree with you, grains should only be a small part of they're diet. After reading the ingredients listed most bagged chicken food seems like crap to me. I did just get a bag of layer feed to throw in with the veggies. I do wish I had access to more insects for mine.
Also if you read up on Romaine lettuce, it has lots of protein and vitamins and is a super food. After reading about how chickens are fed in egg factory's, mine are spoiled.

Well I disagree with you, grains should only be a small part of they're diet. After reading the ingredients listed most bagged chicken food seems like crap to me. I did just get a bag of layer feed to throw in with the veggies.  I do wish I had access to more insects for mine.
Also if you read up on Romaine lettuce, it has lots of protein and vitamins and is a super food. After reading about how chickens are fed in egg factory's, mine are spoiled.
I feed my girls scratch and peck, all organic and I agree that the veggies are totally irritant. My girls get romaine every day. Along with yogert and Raisens . I also give them meal works ( dehydrated) sunflower seeds and millet. Amazon has a great deal on meal worms, and my girls go nuts for them. My kids catch grass hoppers constantly for my girls, but it's so wet here right now there is none around. In winter I take wheat and sprout it, this way they get the grain and the greens. I plan to also grow grass this winter in flats. Living on Montana it's so cold and we have such a small window for grass and greens. I want them to have more access to greens this year. My chickens also get cabbage, watermellon, squash and pumpkins all thru the year. When October rolls around, I buy as many pumpkins as I can and they store for months, my chickens get as many veggies as I can get , along with the scratch and peck feed ( not processed food but real feed ) what's funny is my chickens eat better then I do.
I'm hoping to purchase a lot of squash this year from local farms ( only organic) and store more of the winter months. That stuff around here is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom