White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

Lately Ive been sprouting mung beans for them. Next I'm trying cat grass. Ill have to keep the pumpkin idea in mind. Our local food bank gives away lots of not so perfect veggies out the back door just for critters. Potatoes and squash are good also.

I have 9 Leghorns.16 wk old. I absolutely Love them. They get let out of their coop,at 6 am.At 7.30 pm ,they are ready to go in.They just hang out in the yard all day.They don't let any other bird or squirrel in the yard.

Last edited:
I got four white leghorns from Tractor Supply, but one of them has a different color beak and spotted feathers? Could any one tell me if she is a White leghorn? Sorry, but i dont have a picture of her yet.
D.gif

She is probably something different.Some of my leghorns are from tractor supply.They are all white with red combs and wattles.We were suppose to get all leghorns from Tractor Supply.But we ended up with 3 cornish rocks. So you could have gotten ? lord knows what.

I got four white leghorns from Tractor Supply, but one of them has a different color beak and spotted feathers? Could any one tell me if she is a White leghorn? Sorry, but i dont have a picture of her yet.
D.gif
Without a picture it's hard to say. But if the spots are a rust color, they may be amberlinks. I have a few from TSC that that ended up being amberlinks.

I have five White Leghorn that I purchased from SandHill Preservation Center. They are large and "showy" looking. They breed from an exhibition strain. I am glad of this because I wanted to get away from the production "Pearl White" Leghorns that are so popular these days. I love this breed.

I have five White Leghorn that I purchased from SandHill Preservation Center. They are large and "showy" looking. They breed from an exhibition strain. I am glad of this because I wanted to get away from the production "Pearl White" Leghorns that are so popular these days. I love this breed.
Post some pics when you get a chance...

Does any one have or know where to get a utility line of heratige leg horns any color ( not sex link) that will breed true a line selected for egg laying rather than show?

Does any one have or know where to get a utility line of heratige leg horns any color ( not sex link) that will breed true a line selected for egg laying rather than show?
I have been looking for White English Leghorns (the old farmstead kind, not the super producing commercial girls). I hope the Sandhill girls are more toward the kind my grandparents had back in the 40's and 50's. I tried Pearl Whites from McMurray last year and they just weren't to my liking. Excellent egg layers, but.....

Back
Top Bottom