White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

Like I stated in my previous post, anemic conditions can be caused by numerous things, but in young birds coccidiosis and worms are often the culprit.  Balanced nutrition in diet matters too. If you haven't treated for coccidiosis, do it. Take a look at fresh dropping emitted from the bird. Part it with a stick to see if anything is moving around in it. Caecal worms are more likely to be seen in a caecal dropping (the dark green to brown pasty looking droppings which are emitted). I use preventative treatments once a month for all young birds up until 9 months of age. Warm, humid environments generally harbor higher populations of cocci protozoa in addition to parasitic worms in the soil.

Will do. Thank you. :)

My americauna bantam hatched out 2 white leghorn chicks and today i went out and they're was only 5 chicks instead of seven and the two whites were missing so i looked in my sistern and sadly they fell in and drowned it was covered with fencing but they slipped through to see and fell:(

Update on Fred...she seems much more normal today. Foraging, walking around & chasing bouncing snacks...but no egg today (yet). Keeping an eye on her. I found nothing unusual about her poop, no strange discharge from her vent, no discharge from eyes or nose. Maybe she was just having a couple of sleepy days. Will keep you posted.
thumbsup.gif

I love my White Leghorns. They add so much personality to my mixed flock. They are also the first at everything. They are my first to lay eggs, As chicks, they were my first ones to leave the coop when I finally opened the pop-holes for the first time. They are the first out in the morning (though among the last to go in at night).

They are also the first to try to escape, the first to get into places that the others can't and just this weekend they gave me another first...

They even started their "evil" influence on other members of the flock like the Australorp perched just below them.

As long as they stay in the trees that are enclosed by their run, I'll let them be, but if they become the first to escape the run, they will also be the first (and hopefully only ones) that get a wing clipped. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I still love them, though, and imagine I will always have some around. They are too much fun!

I love my White Leghorns. They add so much personality to my mixed flock. They are also the first at everything. They are my first to lay eggs, As chicks, they were my first ones to leave the coop when I finally opened the pop-holes for the first time. They are the first out in the morning (though among the last to go in at night). They are also the first to try to escape, the first to get into places that the others can't and just this weekend they gave me another first... They even started their "evil" influence on other members of the flock like the Australorp perched just below them. As long as they stay in the trees that are enclosed by their run, I'll let them be, but if they become the first to escape the run, they will also be the first (and hopefully only ones) that get a wing clipped. I hope it doesn't come to that. I still love them, though, and imagine I will always have some around. They are too much fun!
I agree, I love mine also. Great birds, and I have found them in my trees as well. I like to think of them as my "lookouts"

Here is my white leghorn x buff orpington. It's 12 weeks old I'm wondering if we're all in agreeance it is indeed a he. I'm about 99% sure, but still sadly holding out on that 1% :)

Back
Top Bottom