Who is their mama?

Sweetchicks72

Chirping
5 Years
May 8, 2015
I'm new to chicken farming. Joined the ranks one year ago. One of my chickens turned out to be a roo, y'all helped me determine that. I gave him to my mother inlaw, she likes roosters. Well, he turned mean and she was ready to turn him into soup. Before that happened I took 4 (hopefully) fertile eggs and put them under my broody hen. Like I said I'm new so Ive never done this before. Her hens are EE, buff brahma with feathered feet, white Cochin and a partridge Cochin--both feathered feet. After 22 days and to my complete amazement all 4 began to hatch. Sadly one didn't get out. So I have 3 babies and mama (1st timer) is doing great! I'm very curious what breed/color they will be and who the (biological) mama was. One of my mother in laws chickens died after I got eggs so we're very excited to see if one of her babies is represented. Is there anyway to tell the sex and breed of the chicks this young? The roo was speckled Sussex. So for sure I have a SS/EE came out of a green egg and looks totally different than the other 2. I'm curious will this one look more SS. Or more EE? What do you all think based on this picture at a week and a half old. The other two look exactly the same but one has more feathers on the feet. Those 2 hatched black with yellow chests. Now wings are barred with brown and their first few wing feathers are white.
Thanks for any and all input!

Last edited:
The two black chicks are from the White Cochin. White in Cochins is usually a recessive modifier for black. It takes two copies of the gene to express. These guys only got one copy, and thus, are black.
The first chick is from the Easter Egger. The feathered legs are a dominant trait, as is the pea comb of the Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom