Why Can't We Have Ordinances to Control Cats? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nambroth said:

bertman and janinepeters,

Is it okay to let a dog wander where it will? A horse?

Why do I bring this example up? Because sometimes it is unfair to wait until you have a complaint.

Nambroth, you raise some good questions. We don't have the same rules for all domestic species because they all have different habits and needs, and pose different problems for neighbors, and to differing degrees. However, in our town there is actually no leash law, so dogs can, in fact, roam free. Sometimes this creates conflict between neighbors, but most people are able to work it out amicably.

My next door neighbors have 2 large, loud dogs. They have an electric fence for their dogs, but fences are not 100% effective. To protect my chickens, I fenced in a 1/3 acre area. There have been some problems (one of their dogs killed one of my chicken, and there have been additional close calls), but we have worked out a schedule: they let their dogs roam in the morning if they want, and I keep my chickens in until noon. It works for us. Friends tell me I'm nuts for letting their big, loud dogs in my yard at all, but I feel strongly that we should all solve these problems peacefully, while doing everything possible to provide all of the involved animals with the opportunity for a good life. Most people are quite reasonable if you are reasonable yourself. I don't intend to ever call the police or animal control.

You are right, sometimes it is unfair to wait until you have a complaint about your free roaming animals. Therefore, it is good practice to ask your neighbors if they have any problems with your animals, and if they do, work at something that satisfies the involved people, without making the animals suffer. I have done so, and I have bent over backwards to accommodate all of them without depriving their animals of a good quality of life. Other than the neighbors with the 2 big dogs, all my neighbors have cats, and I don't mind in the least when they roam into my yard.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I hope your hen is doing better, and I hope that you will be able to keep the neighbors cat from bothering your yard and animals. Hopefully some of the suggestions, like the scarecrow sprinkler and others will work. If it comes down to it, trap it in a live trap. Maybe then the neighbor will understand it is a problem. If it was my cat causing the issue, I would try to be a better neighbor and keep my cat from bothering you. When I was a kid 2 of our dogs got loose and killed our neighbors chickens. My mother took the dogs to be euthanized, because she did not want them to kill other peoples chickens. I know that sounds harsh, but that was life. Many people have very strong feelings about cats in particular, but I would hope they can see the big picture: That everyone posting on Backyard Chickens hopefully loves chickens! Maybe everyone could agree on that
smile.png
I do love my animals, cats, dogs, chickens, hermit crabs, and the gecko. Just like others posting on here, my cats, chickens and dogs get along fine with each other because they have been raised together. I would never say that an animal would never....because animals can be unpredictable, but there is nothing more endearing to me than to see animals of different species living together and getting along.

Good luck to you and your flock! After going through this whole thread it looks like it's all about POOP now anyway!
big_smile.png

Quote:
To be honest, now I'm having a hard time thinking what to say. Everything I want to say sounds a little mean although I am trying not to let it.

1. I have a friend who's cat hates going outside and freaks if you take it too far into the garden.

2. If you live in a crate then I will gladly start handing around the hat to get you and your pets into a shed. Might even try to get you something big enough for you and your pets to have 4 sq ft each. Otherwise, a dog living in a crate does not equal a cat living in a house.

3. As much as people love giving animals human emotions and feelings, cats don't get Stockholm Syndrome. Unless you are trying to admit that you kidnapped/took prisoner a cat and you feel it is now identifying with you.

4. At no point have I ever said I have trapped or relocated a cat. Goodness knows, the cat may start identifying with me and start trapping other cats. I have been tempted to put pet friendly coloring on their feet and release them to go back home and redecorate but I have managed to control myself.

Quote:
Why don't you just move? Goodness! Hundreds, really? I doubt it. You know, it was the man's fault for not just leaving the polar bear alone. People don't know when to just let animals have their space. Some people don't know when to stop talking.

I won't even dignify the move house part but what a horrible thing to say about a dead young man. He was only 17 years old and on a polar expedition carrying out research into climate change. Their early warning system failed and this bright young man with his whole life in front of him was savaged to death. He was a hospital volunteer and wanted to become a doctor so that he could find a cure for type 1 diabetes so that he could help people like his younger brother. I don't know how old you are but if, going by your alias, you're a kid then I hope that you turn out at least half as good as this young man looked like he was going to be.

Edited: Maybe you should follow your own advice.

Last edited:
Muckypuppy wrote:

BTW, cats live longer, happier and healthier lives when they are kept indoors.

This may well be true if you compare all indoor only cats to all indoor/outdoor cats. But it is probably not the case if you eliminate ferals, strays, and neglected cats from the latter category. Do you have a study comparing indoor only cats to indoor/outdoor neutered and vaccinated cats who are regularly treated for parasites and given limited, day time outdoor access? If so, please provide the reference, as I would be most interested.

Many veterinarians and feline behaviorists find that indoor only cats are more prone to behavior problems which appear to stem from boredom. If you need a reference, you may read "The Cat Who Cried for Help" by Dr. Nicholas Dodman, Program Director of the Animal Behavior Department of Clinical Sciences at the Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. They are also more prone to obesity and all its health consequences.​

Quote:
This may well be true if you compare all indoor only cats to all indoor/outdoor cats. But it is probably not the case if you eliminate ferals, strays, and neglected cats from the latter category. Do you have a study comparing indoor only cats to indoor/outdoor neutered and vaccinated cats who are regularly treated for parasites and given limited, day time outdoor access? If so, please provide the reference, as I would be most interested.

Many veterinarians and feline behaviorists find that indoor only cats are more prone to behavior problems which appear to stem from boredom. If you need a reference, you may read "The Cat Who Cried for Help" by Dr. Nicholas Dodman, Program Director of the Animal Behavior Department of Clinical Sciences at the Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. They are also more prone to obesity and all its health consequences.

This is from cat world Australia. I have others but will have to look for them.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/indoor-vs-outdoor-cats

Edited to add: I personally would encourage giving play things - cat toys, posts and one even a "tree" to climb - as all living things need some kind of stimulation. I seem to remember a tv program where one owner gave her cats tunnels to play in. Obviously the tunnels were big enough for them not to get stuck in but they seemed to love them.

Last edited:
Quote:

Many veterinarians and feline behaviorists find that indoor only cats are more prone to behavior problems which appear to stem from boredom. If you need a reference, you may read "The Cat Who Cried for Help" by Dr. Nicholas Dodman, Program Director of the Animal Behavior Department of Clinical Sciences at the Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. They are also more prone to obesity and all its health consequences.

This post is not about cat rights, but the rights of folks keeping chickens and chicks without the worry of stray cats.....

Do you not understand a cat will also likely cry for help before being dealt with by a unhappy land owner? I mean this with the utmost respect and just don't understand how anyone can feel this way..... A cat allowed to stray onto another's property in many cases is shot or trapped! A horrible end brought on by what?

Same as keeping chickens and offering no real protection sooner or later....

Sigh.... I will read only from here on and I have learned much about the problems deep strong root and will continue as I have protecting my yard and flock.

Muckypuppy said:

This is from cat world Australia. I have others but will have to look for them.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/indoor-vs-outdoor-cats

That is not a study. It is an article claiming "statistics show" but does not give reference to the actual research study. They don't even specify what cats were included in the "outdoor" group. Outdoor only? Indoor/outdoor? Were strays, ferals, and neglected cats included? If so, then I would imagine the indoor only group would indeed be healthier. But it does not prove that indoor only cats are healthier than responsibly kept cats with limited outdoor access. They also don't indicate if behavior problems were considered when measuring "health".​

Southerndesert wrote:

Do you not understand a cat will also likely cry for help before being dealt with by a unhappy land owner?

Of course I do, but I am so fortunate to not live near anyone like you. I have described the nature of my relationship with neighbors in a past post. You are welcome to read it.​

Last edited:
Quote:
That is not a study. It is an article claiming "statistics show" but does not give reference to the actual research study. They don't even specify what cats were included in the "outdoor" group. Outdoor only? Indoor/outdoor? Were strays, ferals, and neglected cats included? If so, then I would imagine the indoor only group would indeed be healthier. But it does not prove that indoor only cats are healthier than responsibly kept cats with limited outdoor access. They also don't indicate if behavior problems were considered when measuring "health".

Sigh, Do these two people have enough letters after their names for you?

http://maxshouse.com/Healthy+Happy_Indoors.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom