Why do you guys give your chickens apple cider vinegar?

It is said that -
Apple Cider vinegar benefits are:
*Reduces intestinal and fecal odors.
*Aids in digestion.
*Helps to break down minerals and fats.
*Assists the animal to assimilate proteins.
*Assists the animal to convert food better.
*It lowers the pH of the digestive tract which will make an environment less welcoming to pathogens therefore may reduce common infections and increases resistance to disease.
*Improves stamina and fertility.
*It is a great overall tonic that will improve the general well being of the animal.
If started while Birds are young (1-1/2 to 2weeks), birds
*Will feather out quicker.
*Are hardier.
*Grow to their potential sooner when used with an adequate feed.

Apple Cider Vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium. It will normalize pH levels in the stomach, improve digestion and the assimilation of nutrients.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) wont work as a "Natural" Wormier it has little affect on worms.

As for what type of Apple Cider Vinegar to use, any type of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with mother (It doesn't have to be organic) will work.

Cautions:
Do not use metal water dishes (except stainless steal).
Vinegar should not be used internally with animals that have an irritated lining of the intestinal tract.
Do not use Apple Cider Vinegar wile treating for worms or coccidiosis.

Chris

There are a lot of claims for what apple cider vinegar can do, but if any of them have been proven I haven't seen it.

One thing it can do that I can clearly observe for myself is slow the growth of bio-film (slime) in the waterers and that is why I use it. But ONLY in plastic waterers. In galvanized metal waterers it can accelerate metal corrosion and possibly leach enough zinc into the water to make it toxic.

Roy Rooster saved me a lot of time.
For Chickens 1 TBS per gallon of water. at least once a week. Twice won't hurt

For people I mix 2 TBS per gallon of water. Refrigerate and drink a cup or so a day.

The main reason you don't see tests on Organics and home remedies is the Pharmaceutical companies can't patent most of it and can't make any money
If you will notice The FDA is the strongest discourager in organics and Holistic Medications.

BUT don't just use anything someone suggests, study it first.

You'll get varying answers here.

Personally, I do add it. I started adding it to our spring 2011 chicks when 9 of them (all Iowa Blues) came down with pasty butt. I Googled what to do with it and found my information here... since I prefer to use natural methods over medicinal ones, I decided to give it a try. It worked wonders for them!! I forgot to add it to their water a couple of times and the pasty butt came back - added the ACV back to the water again and it stayed away.

Anyway, the many [alleged] additional reasons to add it is that it's supposed to help lower the pH balance of their digestive system, increases egg production, kills germs that cause respiratory issues, keeps the slime down in the waterers, keeps the harmful bacteria down in the waterers, etc, etc, etc....

Make sure its Raw unfiltered, I use Bragg Organic Raw - unfiltered Apple cider vinigar. One tablespoon to a gallon of water or 1 tspoon to a quart. I was giving it daily in their waters but have cut back to a few times a week. How often do you all give ACV in their water? Never was sure how often to give it.

Quote:

Now THAT would be a great science project!

Did it on rabbits, chickens and sheep....and it's been true for me each time. Some notable race horse breeders use it for the same reason.

I mainly use the unpastuerized ACV as a probiotic immune system booster, a source of potassium, calcium and Vit. C, and it improves the taste of my eggs.

Bleach in the water is the exact reason why I avoid straight clorinated "city" water at all costs. Just because the FDA says it's safe, doesn't mean that it does. FDA approves drug - drug kills 100 people, FDA pulls drug and says "oops! Sorry!!" I stopped at the store to see what the bleach bottle said "HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED". It doesn't say "small, regulated doses are ok".

While my house is hooked up to city water, I also have a system to regulate and treat the water with oxine along with filtration systems. I don't want all that crap in my water - I certainly don't want to drink it or cook with it.

My animals never drink the city water - they are watered through the cisterns.

But I DO know that there are many many reasons to control bacteria and slime in water - which is WHY they started treating water to begin with. Look into Oxine - it takes care of it all - and I love ACV too! Oxine will keep the bacteria and slime out of your waterers.

It's interesting the way animals react to different types of water. I've done my own little studies. I have 3 identical waters - in one I put straight (not oxine treated or filtered) city water, one straight cistern/rain water, and one cistern/rain water with oxine. I had let these tanks go empty for several hours and knew that everyone would be ready for a drink. Each cow and horse sniffed each tank and all of them drank from the oxine treated cistern/rain water, then the straight cistern/rain water tank and it was HOURS before any of them choose to drink the city water one. I've tried the same thing with my cats - one bowl of straight city water and one filtered and treated. They always go for the filtered and treated one.

I think animals are smarter than we are.

That is a good idea and something that I need to be doing for my flock. How often it is advised to put apple
cider vinegar in their water. When needed, monthly, weekly? Just wondering.

Is it about 1 TBS per Gallon? What radio is best?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom