Why do you guys give your chickens apple cider vinegar?

I've bee using ACV for several days now. I mix 1 tbsp ACV to one gallon jug of water, add some honey, and then pour from the jug into the waterer. Today I noticed a white film-like substance floating around in the water. Is that normal? Is it ok for the chickens?

I've bee using ACV for several days now. I mix 1 tbsp ACV to one gallon jug of water, add some honey, and then pour from the jug into the waterer. Today I noticed a white film-like substance floating around in the water. Is that normal? Is it ok for the chickens?

Must have to do with the honey. I've been using ACV only - 1 tablespoon per gallon - for the past year and have never had any film or white substance.

I have a problem with my new nipple waterer that I bought. It has a clear water line from the bucket to the end of the pvc, and there is pink and black algae growing in it. I've been using a tablespoon of acv with the mother in the bucket for each gallon of water I put in it. We have well water that is pretty stirred up right now after filling a large swimming pool, and we have to filter it for our use for the sediment and iron taste/sulfur smell. I fill their bucket from the hose but of course I let it run until it is cool first. So we don't have chlorine or other additives from city water, and it passes a yearly water quality test.

I asked the company where I got the waterer from and they seem to think it may be the acv. They suggested using plain vinegar instead and said I could use a high pressure hose to clean it or just get a new one. I thought acv helps to control algae not start it. I'm going to replace it with aquarium hose. It gets a few hours of direct sunlight, how can I fix that?

Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

I'm reading all kinds of threads trying to learn :) I noticed you mention you're on well water. If you're using salt to soften the water most salt mixes promote algae via elevated nitrates and phosphates. I don't know much about animals but I grew up on a farm. :) My folks just won't tolerate animals on their property. We had a separate well for the house due to the algae issue in the irrigation ditches.

They don't treat the water in any way, not even a particle filter. It can come out clear and smell-free, and it can come out yellow and stinky, and it can come out clear but let it sit and it has sediment anyway. Sometimes it's just the hot water and sometimes it's both. It has clogged my washer line with a brown slime before, and I saw clumps of brown slime at the bottom of the pool while it was being filled. But it still passes a quality test!

We drink bottled water but when it runs clear from the tap I filter it with a Britta and use it for coffee and cooking. I don't know how long a chlorination of the well and water lines would last but it probably wouldn't help in the long run. It usually settles down in a couple of months and stops being so nasty.

I have two or three 2-week old chicks out of 18 that I puchased recently; they have developed a sneeze/head shaking action lately and from what I read, it may be soemthing respiratory - any idea if I add Apple Cider Vinegar to their water if it will help cure this problem ?

I have two or three 2-week old chicks out of 18 that I puchased recently; they have developed a sneeze/head shaking action lately and from what I read, it may be soemthing respiratory - any idea if I add Apple Cider Vinegar to their water if it will help cure this problem ?

What kind of bedding ate you using? Is it kept dry? Are they being kept warm enough?

What kind of bedding ate you using? Is it kept dry? Are they being kept warm enough?

I am using pine shavings and have been changing it about every two or three days. I was thinking about switching to sand because I thought that maybe the pine shavings are too dusty and this may be what is causing them to sneeze and jerk their heads.

They are now going on 3 weeks old and I currently keep the heat light on them at about 80 dg.

They are showing no other signs of respiratory stress other then jerking their heads and sneezing. No nasal discharge, they are not acting lethargic.. Their stool seems fine. I'm at a loss. I don't want to use antibiotics but if it isn't better by tomorrow I may be forced too.

Back
Top Bottom