Why i do not want GMO in my food or my pets food

Status
Not open for further replies.
goodpost.gif

As with most things:
Do the research (and not just google)
Check your sources (and seek opinions from many different views)

I don't have anything against GMO in the broad sense. I choose to raise heritage chicken breeds and grow heritage vegetable varieties.
(To be honest - my choice is mostly because they're pretty)
hide.gif

I an anti-GMO for two very simple reasons. The first reason is less to do with the fact that the crops are genetically modified and more to do with HOW--if I'm not happy with the quantity of pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals being used on crops now, why would I want crops that are modified so that they can survive the application of even MORE chemicals? Most of the GMO's I've been hearing about aren't modified to have larger yields or be resistant to disease--they're modified so that farmers can spray more roundup crap on them without killing them. That idea does not appeal to me.

The second reason is the way these huge companies *coughMonsantocough* destroy farmers' liveliehoods. If you're a farmer growing soybeans in a field next to a farmer who grows Monsanto's GMO soybeans, and the breeze carries pollen from that GMO field onto yours, if you save the seeds from your OWN CROP, you are considered a criminal. We have become a country where huge corporations are allowed to tell an American citizen what to do with his own crop, where someone is punished as a thief because of the direction of the wind, and where we are not allowed to provide for ourselves--we either buy from the big, all-powerful corporation, or we don't grow food at all.

There's also the small matter of some genuinely scary GMO's going on, like putting human genes into food that is grown openly in the great outdoors and can then cross-pollinate with anything withing blowing distance of the wind. How do you feel about human liver genes in your next bowl of rice? We have no way to control where this GMO "data" gets carried by the wind, what it cross-pollinates with, or what long-term effect it may have on us and our food supply. We're not taking the time to test these things, or what effects they may have before just chucking them into our entire food supply. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of our food supply--our ENTIRE food supply--being the guinea pig for every GMO frankestein they can come up with.

I think the science of genetically modifying organisms is fascinating and potentially very useful, but anything we create needs to be tested thoroughly BEFORE being inflicted on the public. It needs to be labeled clearly, so that we the people can make informed choices, and it needs to be changes that are actually of benefit rather than just trudging down the same failing road we've been on for decades with pesticide and herbicide resistance. Also, the American people need to be guaranteed the right to preserve and produce our own food so that monsters like Monsanto can't come and and tell us what to do with our own crops. It's one thing to hold a customer to contract who purchased your product, but to go to his neighbor who has never bought a Monsanto product and take him to court for violating your patent because the wind blew your pollen onto HIS field... That's just BS. I cannot support GMO's as long as that continues to happen.

I an anti-GMO for two very simple reasons. The first reason is less to do with the fact that the crops are genetically modified and more to do with HOW--if I'm not happy with the quantity of pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals being used on crops now, why would I want crops that are modified so that they can survive the application of even MORE chemicals? Most of the GMO's I've been hearing about aren't modified to have larger yields or be resistant to disease--they're modified so that farmers can spray more roundup crap on them without killing them. That idea does not appeal to me.

The second reason is the way these huge companies *coughMonsantocough* destroy farmers' liveliehoods. If you're a farmer growing soybeans in a field next to a farmer who grows Monsanto's GMO soybeans, and the breeze carries pollen from that GMO field onto yours, if you save the seeds from your OWN CROP, you are considered a criminal. We have become a country where huge corporations are allowed to tell an American citizen what to do with his own crop, where someone is punished as a thief because of the direction of the wind, and where we are not allowed to provide for ourselves--we either buy from the big, all-powerful corporation, or we don't grow food at all.

There's also the small matter of some genuinely scary GMO's going on, like putting human genes into food that is grown openly in the great outdoors and can then cross-pollinate with anything withing blowing distance of the wind. How do you feel about human liver genes in your next bowl of rice? We have no way to control where this GMO "data" gets carried by the wind, what it cross-pollinates with, or what long-term effect it may have on us and our food supply. We're not taking the time to test these things, or what effects they may have before just chucking them into our entire food supply. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of our food supply--our ENTIRE food supply--being the guinea pig for every GMO frankestein they can come up with.

I think the science of genetically modifying organisms is fascinating and potentially very useful, but anything we create needs to be tested thoroughly BEFORE being inflicted on the public. It needs to be labeled clearly, so that we the people can make informed choices, and it needs to be changes that are actually of benefit rather than just trudging down the same failing road we've been on for decades with pesticide and herbicide resistance. Also, the American people need to be guaranteed the right to preserve and produce our own food so that monsters like Monsanto can't come and and tell us what to do with our own crops. It's one thing to hold a customer to contract who purchased your product, but to go to his neighbor who has never bought a Monsanto product and take him to court for violating your patent because the wind blew your pollen onto HIS field... That's just BS. I cannot support GMO's as long as that continues to happen.

Here, here! Couldn't agree more!

Also the MONSANTO REGIME has now the TERMINATOR SEED. Once the plant has grown it will not produce seed.
re·gime also ré·gime (r
amacr.gif
-zh
emacr.gif
m
prime.gif
, r
ibreve.gif
-)
a.
A form of government: a fascist regime.
b. A government in power; administration: suffered under the new regime.
2. A prevailing social system or pattern.
3. The period during which a particular administration or system prevails.
4. A regulated system, as of diet and exercise; a regimen.

I truly wish as an American I could buy non GMO corn for my girls. But I cannot. And I will not buy frankenstein corn.

In a way I like GMO, and in a way I don't like it.

I am happy with the way they modify it so it is immune to a certain disease, it's not a huge change, and yet it is for the better of the species, us and the plant. Where they take a gene from a plant that IS immune, and transfer it to a plant that ISN'T immune.

But modifying animals isn't right, but I am wanting to hear more on the scientists trying to devolve chickens into a rough Dinosaur form, though.

Last edited:
Quote: Do you really expect anyone to believe that, when the SEED is the crop itself?

Quote: I'm not sure why you "cannot" when so many others do it

Also the MONSANTO REGIME has now the TERMINATOR SEED. Once the plant has grown it will not produce seed.
Please post where you received this information, I would like to see what other information they are incorrectly posting.

Quote Below from Monsanto http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/terminator-seeds.aspx

Quote:
Incorrect, Control of Plant Gene Expression (CPGE) a form of Gene Use Restriction Technologies (GURT) or so called, "Terminator Technology" is a seed that will grow and produce seeds but those seed are sterile.

Quote below from Foundation for Biotechnology Awareness and Education (FBAE) http://fbae.org/2009/FBAE/website/our-position-gene-use-restriction-technologies.html

Chris

Please post where you received this information, I would like to see what other information they are incorrectly posting.

Incorrect, Control of Plant Gene Expression (CPGE) a form of Gene Use Restriction Technologies (GURT) or so called, "Terminator Technology" is a seed that will grow and produce seeds but those seed are sterile.

Chris
Hi,
I just saw this query, sorry, I am a newbie and just getting around to
all of the info here is amazing and time consuming. Kind of starting
a bunch of new to me projects on feed, housing, etc.

Here are some of the url's I have read on this subject of GMO. Albeit, this
subject can be a land mine.

http://www.patents.com/us-5723765.html patent number
http://www.engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net/GMO/Monsanto/monsanto.html where I got the patent number
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_seedsdestruction.htm this is a review of that book.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/gmo-sc...-of-genetically-modified-food-on-humans/14570
censorship by monsanto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom