Why is Purina feed "bad"?

kudos minidonkeymom, monsanto is literally killing us, and we don't care! weird. I see a rising tide coming against Monsanto though, and welcome it.
yep I've been signing all the things to trying to stop them! :( Then I also think they need to label our foods if it's been GmO-d.
barnie.gif

Purina is owned by Nestle. They are all about putting GMO's in their products and none of which are labeled. The main reason I will not buy ANY purina products is because the Nestle CEO (German company) stated that he believed ALL water should be privatised. So bascially Nestle wants to OWN ALL WATER. Just like Monsanto wants to OWN ALL SEED. We really need to pay attention to what we purchase. If we don't buy it, they can't sell it...

Absolutely correct!

This is "american experiment" when they invade DNA of corn or soy seeds with "Round up" and other "things" to make it insect-resisting.

This sentence shows conclusively that you have no understanding of what GMO entails. Then ther's your random use of "quotation marks".

In my opinion any of the big brand names have spent thousands to figure out what our animals need. As far as any brand being poison I doubt it! We don't hear of birds dieing by the thousands after being fed any brand of feed. How long do you think a company could stay in business if their product was tainted? How long would it be until some organization sued them? such as food and drug adm. or any one of the hundreds of other oversight groups? If someone has lost their flock in my opinion they need to check for another cause!

Last edited:
In my opinion any of the big brand names have spent thousands to figure out what our animals need. As far as any brand being poison I doubt it! We don't hear of birds dieing by the thousands after being fed any brand of feed. How long do you think a company could stay in business if their product was tainted? How long would it be until some organization sued them? such as food and drug adm. or any one of the hundreds of other oversight groups? If someone has lost their flock in my opinion they need to check for another cause!

A reasonable, logical, well thought-out statement. There's no place for that here. Irrational, ill-informed, emotional arguements only please.

Well, hey, if you are happy feeding your dog predominately corn and other grain products with some pretty hefty preservatives added even when labeled “natural”, don't have any trouble with them breaking out in allergic attacks, then fine, call it emotional, I don’t care. I did my due diligence, tested a variety of feeds with proper elimination of ingredients and found correlations between certain ingredients and the allergic reactions. There was a 100% correlation between the bad reaction and the feeding of Purina dog foods.

Same with the cats and there are three of them, not just one. I’ve had two other households who tried the switch with their cats who were throwing up a lot, and they said there was a huge difference in the number of times they were cleaning up throw up too.
Add it to the price increase of horse feed and I’ll take my emotional response not to use Purina to the bank with the cost savings and go to the beach with all the time I saved not cleaning up vomit.

BTW, companies also spend LOTS of money on marketing research to see what will make people switch brands….and what won’t. And they spend lots of money figuring out cheaper ingredients to use and weighing it against how many consumers are dumb enough not to figure out that they need to change brands. And these kinds of added profit light bulb moments more often than not trump how much money they spend to figure out the “best nutrition” variable. And yes, I am a 20+ year veteran market researcher and you’d be shocked to find out how little these big companies think about nutrition compared to how much they think about what variables impact bottom line profits. But, it is nice to know that Purina’s marketing has you convinced that it is all about health and nutrition – somebody is earning their salary in the Purina marketing department!!

Thank you for that. I have been feeding my chicks Purina from day one. They are healthy and robust. I didn't lose a single one. On the other side of the coin, I am a health conscious person. I prefer to eat food as natural as possible. It is reasonable that I would apply that to my chickens too. If my local feed store has a nonGMO feed that is reasonably priced ... I would buy it.

I am new at this and honestly the chickens are the first animals my DH and I have owned in our 16 yrs of marriage ... aside from a couple of fish and hermit crabs our kids begged to have. I never considered that they had organic feed ... I just went to the feed store and asked for a non medicated feed ... I appreciate the reasonable voice that assures me the 75 lbs of Purina I have in our barn is not poison. :) My girls are happy and healthy. I will just wait until they finish this feed .... and then look into all the options at our feed store.

I don't think Purina is a poison. It's true that to take that statement at face value would be silly. If folks had birds passing away immediately after feeding, there would be a huge outcry. In this way, fresh Purina feed is not immediately toxic at all.
My concerns are the long term health of my birds, and the food that they make for us secondarily. I understand that other individuals do not have this as a high priority, and respect their decision to feed accordingly.

Again, my concerns are long-term health effects, and the knowledge that my birds' bodies turn the feed that they receive into the eggs I eat. The process is both biological and chemical of course, but long-term heath has not yet been fully studied among many newer feed innovations (such as GMO).
True, many things have not been studied long-term. However, as long as I have an alternative that is historically healthy then I will choose it.

It all boils down to personal choice.

Nambroth, that is it exactly - the long term health effects. You know, when you are young (and your animals are young), you can tolerate a lot of stuff: junk food, spicy food, rich food, a date with Jack Daniels, a face plant off the back of your favorite horse, and so on. I am/was healthy but those things aren't healthy for you! When you get a bit older, it affects you a lot more. My dog was soooo healthy looking as a young dog. But in her middle ages, all that inflammation set in and the scratching. Experimenting around with her food made a huge difference. It literally restored some of her youth. The sad part about owning a wonderful dog is that they just don't live very long, especially larger ones. I feel confident that feeding her non-Purina food is going to extend her life and I wonder how much longer she would last and what the quality would be if I'd had her on this kind of food since she was a puppy. I'll never know. But I wish I'd started it sooner.

So my question is, with all the FACTS coming out about dog's intolerance to various grains and to beef, why doesn't Purina make a dog food that doesn't have those ingredients? You know, if they spend soooo much money on researching nutrition and are soooo scientific and all?

Back
Top Bottom