Why is Purina feed "bad"?

Im really not fond of corn feeds and neither are my chickens whiel they will eat it they really shy away from corn which im more then ok with as its cheap and really not that healthy (cheap in a "bad" way not oh good its practically free) Ive been opting away from chicken feed completly while they still have it (and a mixture of scratch) they really would rather eat grass. I do give them there daily friuts and veggies and anything from my plate and nothing smells like chemicals (purina really dose smell aweful) and no that crumbles are on the lesser in there diet no more stinky poo and the eggs we get have a brillant orange yolk and taste awesome. We only have purina in the area if I could try somthng else I would but we really are not a chicken area so its a tough luck situation...

IMO,
Buckeye still makes the best "Multi-flock" Feed. Big 4 has been out forever and IMO it's the "Multi-flock" everyone else is trying to be.

Big 4 ---

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS -
Crude Protein, min. 20.00% 
Lysine, min. 1.10% 
Methionine, min 0.39% 
Crude Fat, min. 3.50% 
Crude Fiber, max. 4.00% 
Calcium, min.  0.70% 
Calcium, max. 1.20% 
Phosphorus, min. 0.65% 
Salt, min. 0.10% 
Salt, max. 0.60% 

INGREDIENTS -
Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Porcine Meat Meal, 
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Animal  Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Lysine, DL-Methionine, 
Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, 
Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 
Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K 
Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine 
Hydrochloride, Choline Chloride, d-Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic 
Acid, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Brewers Dried Yeast.

FEATURES -
•  Highly fortified pellets designed to provide the nutrients required of fast growing turkeys 
•  Recommended for game birds, ducks, geese, pigeons, and for non-laying chickens where lower calcium levels are required 
•  Does not contain medication 
•  Natural microbial products have been added to the product to promote improved bird health 
•  Elevated Niacin and choline levels to meet the requirements of young goslings

Chris

I went and looked at the Buckeye brand and was concerned about one of its ingredients Ethoxyquin.
I am including a cooy and paste concerning this ingredient as a toxin from Dr. Macola's website:

Ethoxyquin: A Potentially Deadly Preservative in Pet Food Containing Fish

The fish in pet food is heavily preserved during the manufacturing process using a chemical preservative called ethoxyquin, which is known to be a cancer-causing agent.

There has been a push to remove it from the pet food chain as it has mostly been removed form human consumption except for herbs.

My chickens get locally ground raw grains and legumes. It's non-GMO which is fine and vegetarian which is weird because chickens aren't.

However they get bugs, frogs, lizards and meat scraps too. Animal proteins from meat, eggs, and milk help chickens feather and behave better. People who feed only veggies and grain typically have very aggressive hens that pick one another bald.
barnie.gif

The best part is that I get 2000 lbs at a time for $450 which breaks down to a little more than $11 for 50 lbs.
smile.png

I went and looked at the Buckeye brand and was concerned about one of its ingredients Ethoxyquin.
I am including a cooy and paste concerning this ingredient as a toxin from Dr. Macola's website:

The fish in pet food is heavily preserved during the manufacturing process using a chemical preservative called ethoxyquin, which is known to be a cancer-causing agent.

There has been a push to remove it from the pet food chain as it has mostly been removed form human consumption except for herbs.
Mercola is a quack.

Ethoxyquin is a fat stabilizer. It keeps food from going rancid. There are no clinical links to cancer.

Here's a link to an article on the FDA telling Mercola he needs to stop making things up:

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html

I'm ugly? Well I guess the mirror already told me that.
th.gif

I'm not "believing what I want to believe" I am believing what has been evidenced to be the truth. I wasn't trying to call you out specifically but you really shouldn't portray things as definitive when they are at best controversial. Point being that there are a lot of brand new "chicken farmers" who read that and take it for gospel.

I don't think anybody has been ugly here
idunno.gif
seems like a pretty civilized debate if anything.
My only concern is when I picture somebody throwing away their bagged food before their chickens got cancer
caf.gif
after reading something that Dr. Nutcase Mercola said.

You believe what you want and I will believe what I want. So don't be ugly just because we don't agree.
He's not being ugly - you're posting the opinions of a man (as fact) who has consistently been reprimanded by every medical association in this country for putting patients at risk. You're quoting a man who has made claims rediculous enough to get censured by the FDA over dietary supplements - dietary supplements are almost completely unregulated, but he made such ridiculous claims that the FDA got involved. He claims his strawberry milkshakes cure cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and and all autoimmune diseases.

We're talking about a man who has started foundations to fight vaccinations, floridation, mammograms, modern dental care, etc. We're talking about a man who thinks HIV doesn't cause AIDS. This man is a dangerous public health nuisance, and large parts of his website are simply made up.

Do you understand why we're trying to get you to stop spreading his junk around?

Dr. Macola is just trying to scare more people into she/he thinks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom