Whys my rooster attacking me?!

TheChicken4U

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
I tame my hens, and have taught a few of them to come when i call their names
big_smile.png
my LS rooster which i hatched myself, has got to the stage that he will attack me whenever i go near the hens to pet, hand feed them ect... Its getting worse, and today he drew blood on my wrist
hit.gif
Anyway i can stop this? I Held him today, which he wasnt very happy about, and kept pecking my jumper (he was aiming at my wrist but my hoodie was in the way) Its not very good, as i am young, i dont want my rooster killed because im very attached! anyways i can stop him from being 'over protective'? or that i could make him sweet too? thanks! heres a pic of him;

No way that I know of :) Especially in spring, the rooster are in / entering peak mating season. They will be more agressive and territorial than usual. Just treat him well but remind him who rules the roost ;)

Well the reason he is attacking you is because he is proving his dominance over you. Therefore you need to show him who is really boss! A friend of mine throws a box over her's whenever he gets agressive. I actually chase and lightly kick at mine. They are still "nice" but he very seldom attacks me anymore.

Well the reason he is attacking you is because he is proving his dominance over you. Therefore you need to show him who is really boss! A friend of mine throws a box over her's whenever he gets agressive. I actually chase and lightly kick at mine. They are still "nice" but he very seldom attacks me anymore.

Showing him who rules the roost :) The roosters will not attack me, they know I'm the boss. The problem I have is the wife and kids, they turn and run which in turn feeds into the problem as the rooster now feels he is the dominant one. I didnt want to mention the light kicking as I'm new here and didnt want to be politically incorrect but she is right. Not an abbusive kick but similar to the impact of if he was fighting another rooster.

You have to show you are not afraid of him and he is lower in the pecking order than you.

Ok, I tried 'fighting' with him with my hand, i watched them fight before, so moving my hand in aggresive movements to him, challenging him, he lept around being a big baby
D.gif
My dad told me to kick him as well, but i dont know if i have the gut... i chase him around alot, so ill try to be a bit more... agressive when doing that after... anymore advise? Thanks for all the help :)

I have never had roosters because of noise issues, however I have had chickens being aggressive toward family members. I keep a length of 1/2 PVC pipe clipped to the run. When ever I need to correct a behavior issue I use the length of PVC to poke, prod and chase the offender all around the run for a "very long time". One or two pokes won't do it. You have to annoy them for for a solid 20 minutes or longer for the message to sink in.

I know you may not think this is a very big issue, but from the many accounts that I have seen on this forum, roosters with behavioral issues only get worse. The majority of these end with the owner having to kill the rooster because taking care of the flock and every day chores becomes dangerous.

Besides, if this behavior can't be corrected, you have a duty to ensure these violent genes don't get passed on to later generations.

Riki

I have never had roosters because of noise issues, however I have had chickens being aggressive toward family members. I keep a length of 1/2 PVC pipe clipped to the run. When ever I need to correct a behavior issue I use the length of PVC to poke, prod and chase the offender all around the run for a "very long time". One or two pokes won't do it. You have to annoy them for for a solid 20 minutes or longer for the message to sink in.

I know you may not think this is a very big issue, but from the many accounts that I have seen on this forum, roosters with behavioral issues only get worse. The majority of these end with the owner having to kill the rooster because taking care of the flock and every day chores becomes dangerous.

Besides, if this behavior can't be corrected, you have a duty to ensure these violent genes don't get passed on to later generations.

Riki
Hmm, Ok... I dont want to hurt him too much though, because he is topsie at the moment, i dont want a bad message passing around that im evil or somthing, as i havnt done much work with him, i might keep handleing him, making him sure im begger than him, but that i mean no harm, if he wont harm me. any ideas to get this message through? or have i pushed it too far already? i think it would be cute if he began to trust me, because then i could teach him to come by name... any ideas to gain his respect, without him well, fearing me?

Not really. You have to consider the mind of the rooster and what he is all about-watching his ladies-breeding his ladies-finding food for him and his ladies-protecting his ladies. Not a whole lot of room in there for trust. The way they interact with each other (roosters) is they mark there territory and keep there boundaries. Once that is established they will "hang out" stand with each other and such without much of a problem. But domination comes first.

Back
Top Bottom