Wild bird eggs - NO I didn't take them **UPDATE**

Quote:
Ok if mud nest, then Robin....starling built in hole or behind walls and things. Robin built nest open to the top.

bet my money on Robin if nest was lined with mud........

Thats great to know, thank you - fortunately, I dont think the truck was parked long enough for a starling to kick the parents/eggs out like they do. I get baby robins!!! :-D Thanks, Deerman.

We have raised baby starlings as well. We used a wet dogfood/egg mixture, ground the shell and all. As far as feedings go - it's a lot like a human child they will let you know when it's time for another feeding! They are noisy and messy, but very smart, pretty birds

Well, we're arriving at the hatch date here for the robin egg. It's isolated and locked down, but a couple days ago I noticed an imperfection in the shell that could only have come from the transportation the poor eggs endured. I candled, and could make out a fine crack around the length of the egg sideways. The robin wasn't moving, but I've thought chicken eggs were dead right before hatch when they were just really holding still, so I'm not messing with the robin egg. I've made a mixture of cat food, tums and high-protein parrot pellets dissolved in water in case it happens to hatch, but with each day that it doesn't pip is making me less hopeful that it'll make it through the hatch, if it hasn't perished already. We'll see!

My fingers (and toes! And my family's fingers and toes! And my cat's toes!) are crossed for your lil robin! Please let us know how it goes!

Well, I woke up this morning to a very smelly little robin egg. I did do an eggtopsy, and the chick was fully developed and (almost) ready to hatch (there was a tiny bit of yolk left), but the membrane had a leak in it (the air cell had stinky fluid in it?) and the chick was dead.

BUT! It was a Robin, not a Starling.

And I feel very, very good that at least I tried.

Back
Top Bottom