Wild pheasant likes the chickens??

Sounds like he's someone's domestic escapee. Too bad he doesn't have a mate. Can you inquire on your state thread to see if any one has lost a ring neck, or if there is a game farm that might catch and relocate him so he can have a mate?

Maybe he is, that would be interesting! I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if I have a "state thread". Is that something on BYC? Maybe there's a provincial thread.

I could try and find a game farm, and maybe I will. I'm not sure why he chose my chickens, though, as I've seen a few pheasant hens around and I'd think he would choose them first. Go figure!

Aww, he is beautiful! :love I hope he gets comfortable around you. There was a wild rabbit that would come out every evening and forage around my coop, I would sit next to it every evening (for months). It eventually got used to me and I could sit right beside it and it would get so close I could pet it :love
Sadly, though "Button" (he was instantly dubbed "Button", btw) was killed by a coyote :(

Aww, he is beautiful! :love I hope he gets comfortable around you. There was a wild rabbit that would come out every evening and forage around my coop, I would sit next to it every evening (for months). It eventually got used to me and I could sit right beside it and it would get so close I could pet it :love
Sadly, though "Button" (he was instantly dubbed "Button", btw) was killed by a coyote :(

That sounds so sweet! I'm sorry to hear about poor Button. I'd love to be able to tame "Mr. Pheasant" to that extent! I just don't know how it would work, though, if he started cozying up to the hens too much...Rocky (the rooster) might get jealous. I guess we'll see!

Awww! I hope Mr. Pheasant earns a full place with your flock! Maybe it was just meant to be! I just want to warn you though, I've heard of wild turkeys who temporarily joined the flock, and when they wandered away again, they brought some of the flock with them. Given how many times Mr. Pheasant was scared and came back, I'm sure he has proved his loyalty! Good luck, and keep us updated!:)

Awww! I hope Mr. Pheasant earns a full place with your flock! Maybe it was just meant to be! I just want to warn you though, I've heard of wild turkeys who temporarily joined the flock, and when they wandered away again, they brought some of the flock with them. Given how many times Mr. Pheasant was scared and came back, I'm sure he has proved his loyalty! Good luck, and keep us updated!:)

Thanks for letting me know! The hens really do seem to like him, so I could see that happening. Hopefully, they like their food too much to stray far! :)

I was just out putting the chickens to bed, and Mr. Pheasant was there as usual. I stayed out with my camera to try and catch another picture of him, but he just strutted away across my driveway. I though he must be gone for the night, so I gave up. But then I had to go back out and collect some tools I had left outside, and he was back beside the chicken coop, looking at them through their window. At the sight of me, he started walking away again, and made some really sweet little chicken-like noises as he did. It's so cute and sad, poor Mr. Pheasant!

Back
Top Bottom